20050809: MCIDAS-X build on Linux

>From: "V.S. Prasad" <address@hidden>

Hi Prasad,

>I introduce myself as V.S. Prasad from Kyoto univeristy
>Japan.  I attended the recent ldm workshop and now trying unidata
>softwares on my system with following details
>
>Linux h13.105.244.10.31408.vlan.kuins.net 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3
>18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>While running make all, it is stopping in between with
>a commet that x11/xlib.h no file or directory. Please tell me where I
>am doing wrong and advise me how to over come it.

The makelog entries that you sent along show that the build failed
when the compiler was trying to access include files needed by
the routine enh.c.  Because of the messages, it appears that you
did not install a full software development enviornment on your
Linux machine.  If you did the installation of the operating system,
you may remember that one of the options was which packages to include
in the installation, and one of the choices was the source code and
libraries needed to develop X applications.  Apparently these were
not installed.  If you did not do the operating system installation,
you should contact your system administrator and ask him/her to
install a full development environment on your system.

After the development enviornment has been installed, you should
retry your McIDAS build:

<as 'mcidas'>

1) edit the shell specific configuration file and include code needed
   to read environment variable definitions included in the Unidata
   McIDAS-X distribution:

C-like shells (e.g., csh, tcsh, etc.)

setenv McINST_ROOT $HOME
setenv VENDOR -g77
if ( -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh ) then
  source $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
endif

Standard shells (e.g., bash, sh, ksh, etc.)

export McINST_ROOT=$HOME
export VENDOR=-g77
if [ -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

2) cd mcidas2005/src

3) make clobber

4) make

Please let me know if you have any questions about the procedure I outlined
above.

>Dr. V.S. Prasad
>Research Center for Environmet
>Disaster Preventive Research Institute
>Kyoto University, Gokasho, UJI
>JAPAN- 611 00 11

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas
--
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <