20050811: UNCA GEMPAK, McIDAS, and LDM installations (cont.)

>From:  "Alex Huang" <address@hidden>

Hi Alex,

>I just tried GEMPAK and McIDAS on storm5.
>
>GEMPAK worked; but I got several error messages in McIDAS like Error:
>expected integer but got "", Error: invalid command name ".addeimgload",
>Error" windows name "balloon" already exists in parent.
>I couldn't access any images, and occasionally I could plot surface
>observations.  I tried all the accounts, and they all have the same errors.
>Do you have any idea?  Is this the user's error?

Oops.  The first time that McIDAS is run from an account, the user
needs to set the number of frames in the MCGUI to some number greater
than 16 (the default is 4), and save the desired settings in the
defaults file, ~/.mcidasrc.  This is accomplished by running:

mcidas -config

- select the number of frames desired, say 20
- select the size of the frames, say 600x800 (default is 480x640)
- set aside any memory for creation of new frames, say 2 MB (default is 0)
- save the values to the defaults file

I just did this for the user 'mcidas' and then copied the defaults file
to each account we had talked about so these users would not have to go
through the 'mcidas -config' procedure themselves.  I then changed the
ownership to the account owner so they can make any changes as
needed/desired.

Please login to the accounts and give McIDAS another try.

>Sorry to bother you, and thank you for your help.

No bother, I'm glad to help out.