20050818: GeoTIFF to AREA conversion

>From:  "Valentijn Venus" <address@hidden>

Hi Valentijn,

>how are you? Enjoyed this year's workshops?

I am _very_ glad that July is over!

>We're trying to share the Global Land Cover map by the University of Maryland.
>In is
>in GeoTIFF frormat, and i am looking for a 'how to' to convert this into
>McIDAS AREA
>format.
>Can you help please?

There is no direct GeoTIFF to AREA conversion included in McIDAS.  The GeoTIFF
support in McIDAS works in the other direction: image -> GeoTIFF.

What can be done, however, is to somehow capture the raster portion of
the GeoTIFF, put it into a new AREA using MAKEAREA, and then add
navigation using MAKNAV.  For this to work, however, the navigation
(projection) of the GeoTIFF image must be one supported by McIDAS in
general and MAKNAV in particular.

>Kind regards,

I am sorry that there is not already a GeoTIFF ADDE reader.  SSEC has
created a number of different 'output only' ADDE servers of which
netCDF and GeoTIFF are two examples.

By the way, I did look at the 'torn' image example that you sent along
some time ago.  I would guess that the problem is(was) that the
individual compressed portions of the image have(had) some sort of
header that was causing the displacement.  Did you figure out why the
image sections were being displaced in the element dimension?