20051024: McIDAS/LDM/XCD: aputserv locking I/O (cont.)

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

Hi Christian,

re: where are you pointing for GINIEAST and RTGINI
>$ dataloc.k LIST GINIEAST
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>GINIEAST                     KEPLER.SCA.UQAM.CA
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data director
> y.
>DATALOC -- done
>
>$ dataloc.k LIST RTGINI
>
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>RTGINI                       PSCWX.PLYMOUTH.EDU
>
><LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data director
> y.
>DATALOC -- done

Ah Ha!  The cause of your problem may be your pointing to the
RTGINI dataset on pscwx.plymouth.edu.  Here is why I say this:

DATALOC ADD RTGINI PSCWX.PLYMOUTH.EDU

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTGINI                       PSCWX.PLYMOUTH.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

IMGLIST RTGINI/GSN8KIR
Image file directory listing for:RTGINI/GSN8KIR
IMGLIST: There are no images that meet the selection criteria
IMGLIST: done
IMGLIST failed, RC=2

>> - out of curiosity, why are you using two different datasets at
>>   the top of your script (GINIEAST and RTGINI)?
>
>This is because during a part of the night, I have noticed that G-8
>data is not available, and only G-10 data is returned.

Hmm... G-8 data is not available at all anymore.  I am guessing
that some of the composite images you want to access are labeled
as being G-8.

>This is why I
>am checking if I ask GINIEAST/GE4KIR data and I get G-10 instead of
>the wanted G-8, I remap G-10 data to the area I am interested in
>(dataset 376, 377, 378 last night by example):
>
> 374  G-12 IMG      24 OCT 05297  03:40:01    41   88 4
> 375  G-12 IMG      24 OCT 05297  03:45:01    41   88 4
> 376  G-10 IMG      24 OCT 05297  04:00:01    41   88 4
> 377  G-10 IMG      24 OCT 05297  04:30:01    41   88 4
> 378  G-10 IMG      24 OCT 05297  05:00:01    41   88 4
> 379  G-12 IMG      24 OCT 05297  05:31:01    41   88 4
> 380  G-12 IMG      24 OCT 05297  05:45:01    41   88 4

OK (I think).  I believe, however, that you have the data you
want (GSN8KIR) on your local ADDE server (at least you should
have this data).  It will exist, however, in the GINIEAST,
GINIWEST, and/or GINICOMP datasets.  Try the following:

DSINFO IMAGE GINIEAST

You should see an entry for the GSN8KIR images:

GSN8KIR      99999    GINI 8 km 10.7 um Super-National

If you do see that these are defined, try listing them:

IMGLIST GINIEAST/GSN8KIR.ALL

If the list is OK, it means that your GINIEAST dataset is setup
as per my recommendations in the GINIADDE.BAT BATCH file.  At
this point, I would recommend that you use your own server for
the data as the access will be much faster and you shouldn't
run into a situation where the IMGCOPY hangs due to network
congestion or other things out of your control.

re: why not run all McIDAS commands within one 'mcenv' invocation
>I would like to, but I don't know how to specify a different window
>size during the script course inside mcenv. This is why I call mcenv
>two times, one with 512x512 and the other with 1024x1024 window.

You can create a McIDAS session ('mcenv' creates McIDAS sessions)
specifying that you want a variety of differently sized frames.
For instance, the following will create a McIDAS session with
1 frame that is 512x512 (frame 1) and another that is 1024x1024:

mcenv -f 1@512x512 -f 1@1024x1024
f.k

   Video Status for Your Workstation
                              Frames(s)
                              ---------
Number Available                  2
Current                           1   (Opp =  2 )
Loop Bounds                    1 to   2
Visible (K & W toggle)          Yes / Yes
Looping (L toggle)               No
Cursor parameters: Size =   31 /   31         Type = Xhair
        Center position =   10 /   10         Color = RED

Image frames   1 -   1     with imbedded graphics    are  512 BY  512
Image frames   2 -   2     with imbedded graphics    are 1024 BY 1024

exit

You will need to modify your script to specify which frame(s) you
want to display images/label/do contours, etc.  Here are example
modifications you will need to make to your script 'make_g8':

mcenv -f 1@512x512 -f 1@1024x1024 << EOF

set -vx
logon.k USER 0278

sf.k 1                                       <- addition

gu.k MAKE 7 BLACK
gu.k MAKE 5 BLACK
gu.k MAKE 2 YELLOW
gu.k MAKE 4 YELLOW
imgdisp.k $adde STA=CYUL MAG=2 EU=XREC SF=YES
eg.k 1;map.k VH 8;bar.k COL=8 SU=TEMPC 1
frmlist.k 1 DEV=T ir4_t.out
frmlabel.k LEVEL=120 0 \"GOES-12 IR 4KM \(DAY\) \(HHMM\) meteocentre.com

sf.k 2                                      <- addition
gu.k MAKE 2 RED
gu.k MAKE 3 YELLOW
gu.k MAKE 4 GREEN
gu.k MAKE 5 BLUE
gu.k MAKE 6 RED
imgdisp.k $adde STA=CYUL MAG=4 EU=XREC SF=YES
eg.k 2;map.k VH 8;bar.k COL=8 SU=TEMPC 1    <- modification
frmlabel.k LEVEL=120 0 \"GOES-12 IR 4KM \(DAY\) \(HHMM\) meteocentre.com

frmsave.k 2 mtl_ir.gif                      <- modification
imgdisp.k $adde STA=CYYZ MAG=1 EU=XREC SF=YES
eg.k 2;map.k H 8;bar.k COL=8 SU=TEMPC 1     <- modification
frmlabel.k LEVEL=120 0 \"GOES-12 IR 4KM \(DAY\) \(HHMM\) meteocentre.com

The changes are, of course, not hard.  You just have to remember
which frame you want to do things in.

re:
>The GINIEAST data is coming through IO.SCA.UQAM.CA which serves the
>data with LDM, and ingested on the Linux box. This is because we are
>currently transitioning between io.sca.uqam.ca and kepler.sca.uqam.ca.

OK.  I tried to point at kepler.sca.uqam.ca to see if I could list
what images are in your GINIEAST dataset, but I got the following
error:

DATALOC ADD GINIEAST KEPLER.SCA.UQAM.CA
DATALOC: Could not resolve KEPLER.SCA.UQAM.CA. Entry not filed.
DATALOC -- done
DATALOC failed, RC=2

Looks like DNS is not yet setup for kepler...

>Many thanks,

No worries.