20051110: adde.ucar.edu IP address changed; action needed (cont.)

>From: "Corcoran, William T" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill,

re:
>Just a quick reply without (re)reading the whole thing.  I thought I did
>that procedure within minutes of the original email.  Even checked the
>output. Obviously I didn't do as thorough a job as I thought.  Will Do
>again.
>
>Thanks for the heads up.

Since you ran the procedure and it did not wor, here is a quick thought
about what may be happening:

If the user running the McIDAS commands that are accessing
adde.ucar.edu has its MCTABLE_WRITE (Unix environment variable) setup
to be a file that is NOT the first one listed in its MCTABLE_READ, then
doing a DATALOC HOST would not change the IP address used if the client
routing tables listed before the $MCTABLE_WRITE one pointed to the old
machine.  This is complicated to explain, so I will give an example:

with defined as:

MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT

and defined as:

MCTABLE_READ='/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT'

if /home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT has an entry for the datasets you
are accessing from adde.ucar.edu, and if it further has an entry with
the old IP address of that machine, then you running DATALOC HOST will
have no effect.  In this case the best thing to do is to:

- identify the list of client routing tables contained in your $MCTABLE_READ

- edit all of them by hand and change any reference to the old IP address
  of adde.ucar.edu to the new one:

  Change:

  HOST_ADDE.UCAR.EDU=128.117.15.119

  to:

  HOST_ADDE.UCAR.EDU=128.117.114.119

This should do the trick.

>From address@hidden  Thu Nov 10 08:55:41 2005

Found a bad address in MCTABLE.TXT in /home/mdidas/workdata.  Fixed it.

Superb analysis sir.  Thanks for the help.

Let me know if anything else needs done.

Thanks again.

Bill

Dr. William T. Corcoran  http://cumulus.smsu.edu
(417) 836-5781