20051205: Can't display NASA imagery any more on McIDAS-X (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

re: merge your defs. in ADDEIMAGE.CORE and put in ~mcidas/workdata directory
>Done. I now see the PUb dataset and can access it.

OK.

>But, i can't get to the
>NASA dataset, even though I can do an IMGLIST to see at least some of it.

From the same machine?  I just logged onto weather as 'mcidas' and
ran the DATALOC command to see who you are pointing at for the NASADATA
dataset:

weather-niu Mci-1$ cd workdata
weather-niu Mci-2$ dataloc.k LIST NASADATA

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
NASADATA                     <LOCAL-DATA>

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

This shows that you are looking locally for images in the NASADATA
dataset.  What machine are you supposed to be looking at?

>Refresh my memory: How can I see what's on an ADDE server again?

DATALOC LIST group_name
DSINFO IMAGE groupname

>> After doing this, you should see a PUB dataset in the Display -> Image > dro
> pdown.
>
>Yes. And after doing the commands in the email that followed, I can view
>them,

OK.

>although the visible images aren't 1 KM resolution.

Looks like the folks that setup the ADDE server on
GP16.SSD.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV put 4 km images into a dataset that pretends
to be 1 km.

>BTW, batch files I have get the NASA images just fine, such as
>/home/mcidas/workdata/NASAVIS.BAT.

OK.  I see that the name of the dataset is G8-GHCC, not NASADATA:

weather-niu Mci-9$ ls NASAVIS*
ls: unparsable value for LS_COLORS environment variable
NASAVIS2.BAT  NASAVIS3.BAT  NASAVIS.BAT  NASAVISL.BAT
weather-niu Mci-10$ cat NASAVIS.BAT
SF 1
EG 1
EG I 1
IMGDISP G8-GHCC/VIS STA=%1 MAG=1 -2;MAP VH 1;EU REST IMAGE2

>The error messages from the GUI are:
>
>Unable to resolve dataset: NASADATA/G8-GHCC/G8-GHCC/VIS
>IMGDISP failed, RC=2

Looks like the definitions you added to ~mcidas/workdata/ADDEIMAGE.CORE
are incorrect.  The ADDE group name should be G8-GHCC, and the
descriptors should be:

weather-niu Mci-11$ dsinfo.k IMAGE G8-GHCC

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: G8-GHCC

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL            500
IR2            100
IR3            100
IR4            100
IR5            100
VIS            100

DSINFO -- done

I see the problem.  Your ADDEIMAGE.CORE entries look like:

NASADATA
REM Descriptor   GUI Label                          Frame  Load   Location
Mag     Map(s)            Mcol  Wid   Mbrk Enh     Strtch  BarLab BarSU discrete
    G8-GHCC/VIS  "GOES-East Visible"                ?VFRMS LINELE " 700  864"
"-2 -2" "OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "4"  IMAGE   NONE    X      "X       X"
    G8-GHCC/IR5  "GOES-East Water Vapor"            ?HFRMS LINELE " 350  432" "
1  1" "OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "6"  H2O     NONE    X      "H2OTEMP X"
    G8-GHCC/IR2  "GOES-East Infrared"               ?IFRMS LINELE " 700  864"
"-2 -2" "OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "4"  IMAGE   NONE    X      "IRTEMP  X"

They should be:

G8-GHCC
REM Descriptor   GUI Label                          Frame  Load   Location
Mag     Map(s)            Mcol  Wid   Mbrk Enh     Strtch  BarLab BarSU discrete
    VIS  "GOES-East Visible"                ?VFRMS LINELE " 700  864" "-2 -2"
"OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "4"  IMAGE   NONE    X      "X       X"
    IR5  "GOES-East Water Vapor"            ?HFRMS LINELE " 350  432" " 1  1"
"OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "6"  H2O     NONE    X      "H2OTEMP X"
    IR2  "GOES-East Infrared"               ?IFRMS LINELE " 700  864" "-2 -2"
"OUTLUSAM OUTLCNTY" "1 5" "1"   "4"  IMAGE   NONE    X      "IRTEMP  X"

Compare your entries with others in the file to get a flavor for how they
need to be set.

Make corrections to ~mcidas/workdata/ADDEIMAGE.CORE and either restart
the McIDAS/MCGUI session, or reload the image display defaults:

Configure >> Load Image Display Defaults

This brings up a widget in which you should click on the
/home/mcidas/workdata directory in the left box; ADDEIMAGE.CORE in the
right box, and then the Load button.  Cheers,

>From address@hidden  Mon Dec  5 12:45:47 2005

>Hi Tom,

>Ahhhh...so this got changed (the first descriptor). It worked before this
>upgrade, I think. This make sense.

re: compare your entries