20051206: MCIDAS--more data problems

>From: "Corcoran, William T" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill,

>I've built the latest MCIDAS on our "new" machine...somebody's cast off
>computer (only 384 M RAM) with a new disk.  Fedora Core 4 downloaded and
>installed.  That was fun.  I think it took about an hour to do the
>system,  and about 5 minutes to build Mcidas.  On the AIX machine the
>system was a 2 day operation and Mcidas was on the order of 12 hours.
>Man, I love technology.  We may bring the men's room in from the pasture
>next.

Sounds good so far...

> It took me a few days to get the network and HTTPD (apache) working
>(selinux was apparently a problem),

It is also a problem (challange) for the LDM logging as well.

>so now I'm at the point of trying to
>move things from cumulus, our old AIX box to the new machine (creatively
>named stratus.missouristate.edu).

OK.

>Since Nov 30, both machines have had trouble accessing ADDE data from
>all the different servers.  In particular, we use RTIMAGES/MDRTOPO, and
>these don't seem to be created anymore (servers all report 10 images,
>none current).  It doesn't seem to matter whether I hit up UCAR,
>PAPAGAYO, NOAA, NSF, NIU, etc.  For a week or so after Unidata made the
>server switch for ADDE, we couldn't get them there, so I had
>"discovered" NIU3 in our email exchanges.  It "worked" for a week or
>so....now even that one doesn't seem to want to serve cumulus MDRTOPO.

This must be a problem on the data injection side.  I will need to
take a look.  Since you have upgraded McIDAS, I would suggest that
you investigate switching to use of NEXRCOMP composite radar
images (national composites created from individual NEXRAD displays).
This radar imagery is _much_ better than the MDR stuff.  To
access the NEXRCOMP imagery, do the following:

dataloc.k ADD NEXRCOMP adde.ucar.edu

>Today (Dec. 6) we seem to have trouble getting RTPTSRC surface data.  We
>had stuff up to 12 Z, but since then SFCCON reports no data fitting the
>request, and this is with a straight vanilla request:
>
>e.g., from cumulus
>
>SFCCON PMSL     GRA=3D1 IMA=3D1  NAV=3DC
>Accessing Dataset Name =3D RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY.ALL
>PTCON: No data found matching search conditions
>PTCON:  Done
>SFCCON: PTCON command failed
>
>Dataloc.k yields (edited)
>RTPTSRC                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
>
>This of course is all in a script that has worked fine for years (I hate
>saying that).  Results on stratus.missouristate.edu are identical.

Thanks for reporting this.  For some reason, the McIDAS surface decoder
starting failing with a segmentation violation at around 12Z today.
Since I have not been looking at the weather today (even though it is
snowing in Boulder), I didn't notice the failure.  Ouch, the decoder
started failing with segmentation violations on all machines running
it at the same time!?

>What this is doing is playing a merry tune on my brain as I try to make
>stratus.missouristate.edu a working machine.  I'm unsure whether or not
>the problems are mine or someone else's.

The problems are apparently mine.

>Some data sets are working...the RAOB's for instance do just
>fine...hmmm, anything happen at 12Z today?
>
>Anyway, your comments are appreciated on why we can't access data.

I don't know why the surface decoder is failing.  Find out will
take some time.

>Right now the dataloc is scattered around the country.  The installation
>is real rough, the result of just running the basic Unidata scripts for
>data sets and locations...nothing's been cleaned up.

OK.