20051210: ADDEIMAGE.xxx mods

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

Previously I had commented that I was going to work on making user
modifications to the image display defaults used in the MCGUI easier.
I have now done that and have installed the modified code in the
'mcidas' account on weather.admin.niu.edu (not on weather[23]).

With the latest code modification, users can add their own ADDE dataset
definitions to the files $MCDATA/ADDEIMAGE.USER (for individual
additions/modifications) and/or $MCHOME/data/ADDEIMAGE.SITE (for
site-wide additions/modifications).  The MCGUI code reads the
definitions in the ADDEIMAGE.xxxx files in the following order:

ADDEIMAGE.CORE
ADDEIMAGE.SITE    <- overrides/adds to definitions in ADDEIMAGE.CORE
ADDEIMAGE.USER    <- overrides/adds to definitions in ADDEIMAGE.SITE/.CORE

If ADDEIMAGE.SITE or ADDEIMAGE.USER do not exist, the definitions in
the ADDEIMAGE.CORE are used as is.  These should be left untouched as
the file is overwritten with each new McIDAS installation.

If ADDEIMAGE.SITE exists, its definitions are used to add to or
override definitions in ADDEIMAGE.CORE.

If ADDEIMAGE.USER exists, its definitiosn are sued to add to or override
definitions in ADDEIMAGE.SITE and ADDEIMAGE.CORE.

I took the liberty of renaming your ~mcidas/workdata/ADDEIMAGE.CORE
file to ADDEIMAGE.USER.  I also edited the newly renamed file and
removed the definitions that were already in the copy of ADDEIMAGE.CORE
that is in the distribution.  I also renamed
~mcidas/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE to ~mcidas/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE.NIU and
linked the distribution copy to the directory.

So, now when you want to add a new IMAGE dataset to use in the MCGUI,
all you need to do is add the definitions for the image group and
descriptors to ~mcidas/workdata/ADDEIMAGE.USER.

The newly added dataset group will show up in the MCGUI Image selector
the next time the MCGUI is restarted (i.e., EXIT McIDAS and restart).

One last thing.  I noticed that you  had partially uncommented the
definitions for the RTNOWRAD dataset.  Partially because the group name
of the dataset was still commented out.  I looked at the ADDE server
mapping table definition for RTNOWRAD and saw that it was the one
contained in the McIDAS distribution, and this does not match anything
on your machine.  I modified the server mapping table
(~mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV) to specify user of
~mcidas/workdata/NIUNOWR.CFG in place of NOWRAD.CFG.  You can now
modify ~mcidas/workdata/NIUNOWR.CFG and adjust the location regular
expressions at the bottom to match the location of your composite radar
images on weather.

Please let me know if you have any questions or see any problems.

>From address@hidden  Sun Dec 11 12:29:12 2005

>Thanks! I will try this out tomorrow. BTW, our Internet 2 connection hit
>an installation snag. We are literally awaiting a 50' cable run in Chicago
>to light things up. It will be this month, with January still the official
>turn on date.

>Gilbert Sebenste                                                     ********
>(My opinions only!)                                                  ******
>Staff Meteorologist, Northern Illinois University                      ****
>E-mail: address@hidden                                  ***
>web: http://weather.admin.niu.edu                                      **

>From address@hidden  Mon Dec 12 15:28:42 2005

Finally! The upgrade I have been waiting for. This will bring the Internet
2, and 1 GB/sec bandwidth to the University, what a University our size
really needs.