20060110: McIDAS station table locations for non-NEXRAD sites

>From:  Don Murray <address@hidden>

Hi Don and Greg,

>Greg Salottolo noticed that the 4 letter NEXRAD locations
>have only DD:MM precision where the corresponding 3 letter
>stations have DD:MM:SS in the McIDAS-X station table.

All NEXRAD sites are listed in the McIDAS station database using
3-letter designators, not 4 (as you saw when you ran STNLIST TYPE=N).
The 4-letter entries are for stations reporting other things (like
METARs).

>Do you want me to report this to MUG or do you want to do this.

I can report that it looks like stations other than NEXRAD sites have
their locations rounded to DD:MM while the NEXRAD stations do not.  All
of the NEXRAD sites look like they kept DD:MM:SS precision.

>My conversation with him is below.

I am CCing Greg on this reply and will register an inquiry with
the MUG to see if they can get more accurate locations for other
stations.