20060110: McIDAS 2005-X for XP Installation; IDV use (cont.)

>From: "Michael Keables" <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

recap:

>>Before I try to sort this out (I think it is related to the X Window
>>package you are trying to use), can I ask about the Windows machines
>>you want to run McIDAS on?  How fast are they and how much memory do
>>they have?

>>The reason I ask is you may want to try using the IDV (Integrated Data
>>Viewer) on your Windows boxes _if_ they are fast enough and have
>>sufficient memory.  A "standard" (by today's measure with 512 MB of
>>RAM), reasonably new (with a CPU that is faster than about 1.2 GHz)
>>Windows PC is typically sufficient to run the IDV as long as one is not
>>trying to do too much visualization of 3D model data.

>>The IDV installs easily under Windows, especially Windows XP.  It is
>>ADDE-enabled, so you can access the data being decoded by McIDAS-XCD on
>>cyclone as long as the ADDE remote interface is configured on cyclone.
>>I am unable to access it from my machine at Unidata at the moment, but
>>this is probably due to a firewall blocking my access.  Assuming
>>that your Windows machines are on the same subnet as cyclone, they
>>should be able to access the data through the ADDE remote interface
>>on cyclone.

re: overview of your lab Windows machines
>Our lab PCs are running the latest version of Windows-XP. They are
>configured with 1 GB RAM and a 2 GHz CPU.

Excellent.  This is the same as my Windows laptop where the IDV runs
nicely.

>I would like to try the IDV route you suggested, so let me know how to
>proceed.

OK. The steps are to go to the IDV HomePage:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  IDV HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

Read through the 'Downloading and running the IDV' and
'Download the latest release'.

Basically, you will:

1) register with our web portal (if you havn't done so already)
2) login to our web portal
3) click on the Downloads link (under the Tool Box tab on the left)
4) go to the IDV section
5) click on the latest release link (IDV 1.3b1)
6) click on 'IDV 1.3b1 Installer for Windows' and save to disk.  I
   suggest creating an IDV folder somewhere and use it
7) double click on the .exe file you just downloaded and follow the
   installation directions

The entire download and installation process should only take
a few minutes.

After installing the IDV on the first machine, you can start playing
immediately.  To learn how to use the IDV, I strongly suggest working
your way through the online IDV workshop materials.

Either access the Training Workshop and User's Guide online as HTML or
download the PDF versions of the documents.

>Thanks in advance.

No worries.  Please let us know how the download/installation/use goes.