[McIDAS #MEK-787706]: 20060126: MD data once again available on allegan; upgrade to v2005 request

Hi John,

I have finished upgrading allegan's McIDAS installation to v2005b.  Please
let me know if you see anything that is not working properly.

When I logged on yesterday, I noticed that the LDM was not ingesting any data.
This was caused by the LDM queue either being corrupt or not having been
upgraded to be compatible with the newer version of the LDM that is now
installed.  The "fix" to get things working was easy:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue -f
ldmadmin start

While poking around, I noticed that the LDM is not logging to its designated
log file, ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log, and hasn't been since Jan 7, 2002:

-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      ldm            0 Jan  7  2002 logs/ldmd.log
-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      ldm        12920 Jan  7  2002 logs/ldmd.log.1
-rw-r--r--   1 ldm      ldm       161146 Jan  7  2002 logs/ldmd.log.2
-rw-r--r--   1 ldm      ldm       334260 Jan  6  2002 logs/ldmd.log.3
-rw-r--r--   1 ldm      ldm       341054 Jan  5  2002 logs/ldmd.log.4

The reason the logging is not working is the appropriate configuration lines
have not been added by 'root' to /etc/syslog.conf.  Please do the following
to get the logging working again:

<as 'root'>
cd /etc
-- edit syslog.conf and:

*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none       /dev/sysmsg

local0.debug             /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

NOTEs:

- the whitespaces in these lines are tabs not spaces!  This is important!!
- your /etc/syslog.conf has different entries for the *.err, etc., so you
  will probably need to adjust the first line I recommended to match your
  setup.  The second line (local0.debug) is the operative one for LDM logging

After setting the entries in /etc/syslog.conf, you will need to send a HUP
signal to syslogd so it will reread its configuration file.  You should
also test the logging as 'ldm' by running:

<as 'ldm'>
logger -p local0.debug 'test of LDM logging'

The test message should be added to ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  If it is not, it likely
means that the /etc/syslog.conf entries are incorrect (e.g., the whitespace was
entered as spaces instead of tabs).

I will do the McIDAS v2005b installation on webcat in a few minutes.  It is
likely that the same series of changes made on allegan will be needed on
webcat (i.e., new LDM; modify LDM logging; etc.).

I will write more after I finish the McIDAS installation on webcat.

Ticket ID: MEK-787706
Department: Support McIDAS