20060314: Plotting Range Rings from Geo Orbits

>From:  "Thomas Renkevens" <address@hidden>

Tom et. al.,

re:
>I'm looking to see if McIDAS has the capability to plot various range
>rings of coverage over a mercator map given a longitude of a satellite
>(i.e. 75W for GOES-East, or other 'fictitious' longitudes where geos are
>not currently located) and the elevation angle (such as 0 degrees for
>communication contour, or 5 or 6 degrees for useful coverage of imager
>data).  I am aware of the NAVDISP command for similar polar plots, but
>does anyone know if I can do something like this for geo coverage?
>
>Basically, I want to replicate (with ability to change parameters) what
>is found on page 26 of the GOES-N data book as found at
>http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/112855main_GOESNOPWeb1.pdf

Like Scott, I was going to recommend that you take a look at Russ
Dengel's CIRCLE command (in SSEC's mcrd and included in the Unidata
McIDAS distribution as a supported command).  After looking through the
GOES-N data book PDF you referenced, I think that your needs go
somewhat beyond what CIRCLE provides, however.  Some of plots can be
created using the PATH command (which is also included in the Unidata
McIDAS distribution).

>Thanks
>Tom Renkevens (formerly from SATEPS)
>NOAA/NESDIS/OSD
>GOES-R Operations Project
>Office: (301)-286-3549
>Email: address@hidden
>https://osd.goes.noaa.gov/
>
>NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
>Building 6 room S236
>Mailstop 417.0, Greenbelt, Md 20771

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*