[McIDAS #ZLP-298012]: Rotating Globe Movie

Hi Oana,

re:
> How are you?

I am well, thank you.  How are you?

> Of course I'm not writing you only to ask that!

:-(

> So, here comes my question: is there a way to find out the
> algorithm of the Rotating Globe Movie I saw on the SSEC webpage:
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/composites.html.

The animations are spectacular, aren't they!?

I will write the author of the product and ask him if he is willing
to let me have the full procedure.  I will get back to you as soon
as I find out if he is willing to part with the information (I don't
doubt that he will give me the code/procedure, but I need to ask
nonetheless).

> As far as I can see this product is made using McIDAS, but the
> Spinning Globe from McIDAS workshop page do not look like this one.

The example spinning globe McBASI script that was shown in the workshop
was created as a provocative demonstration of what can be accomplished.

> I used the RTIMAGES/MOLL-IR data, but the globe still has an area that
> is not covered by the satellite data. And the globe is very small.

SSEC's rotating globe demo uses full resolution satellite imagery from
a full set of geostationar orbiters.  It also uses a huge topography
dataset that I have on CD.

> This is for now,
> Waiting for your answer,

I will write again as soon as I have SSEC's answer/code.

By the way, we have adopted the user of a new inquiry tracking system
here at Unidata.  It would help us greatly if your inquiries were
directed at specific "departments" (topical organizations) in the
future. The way that this is done is to simply address your question
to 'support-<topic>@unidata.ucar.edu', where <topic> is replaced
by the topic your question relates to.  For McIDAS-related questions
the To: address you would use would be 'address@hidden'.
A full list of the topic areas that we are currently setup to support
can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
 -> Support
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support
    ->Topic-Specific Email Addresses
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/topics.html

Thanks in advance for using this submission method!

> My very best regards,
>
> Oana

Ticket ID: ZLP-298012
Department: Support McIDAS