[McIDAS #MET-935016]: McIDAS - Cannot get mcunpack to execute -- keep getting message to define McINST_ROOT

Hi Alan,

re:
> More energy and more insight:
>
> There is an X11 directory in the mcidas2005 directory:
>
> mcidas2006/tk/xlib/X11

The Tk portion of the McIDAS distribution has X include files,
but they are not what is needed for the compilation of enh24.c.

> Of the files listed in the makelog file as missing:
>
> enh24.c:9:22: error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
> enh24.c:10:23: error: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
> enh24.c:11:21: error: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
> enh24.c:12:23: error: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
> enh24.c:14:24: error: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
> enh24.c:17:19: error: X11/X.h: No such file or directory

This is telling us that you do not have an X11 development environment
installed.  You will need to install the X11 development environment
before you will be able to proceed successfully.

Aside: during the initial Linux installation on machines here at the
UPC, we routinely select support for all development.  This takes up
a little more disk space, but it makes life much easier down the road
(as you have found out).

> The only one I do not see in my directory in mcidas is the Xos.h.  All
> of the other are there.
>
> Might be off track--maybe the thing is looking in some other directory,
> but I can't find Xos anywhere in the machine.

The standard location for X11 include files is /usr/include/X11.  I just
looked for this directory on your machine, and did not find it.  Again,
this is telling us that you do not have a development environment installed
that supports Xwindow development.  You will need to install the environment
as 'root' before you can proceed successfully.

As for your previous note regarding looking for X11 development rpms
on RedHat's site, it will be easier to use 'yum' to install the
development environment you need.

I have been trying to figure out the 'yum' command that will
install the X11 development environment ('yum' takes care of
dependencies).  I _think_ you will need to run something like:

<as 'root'>
yum install xorg-x11-devel

-- or --

yum install xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

> I'll keep looking....Alan

Please try the 'yum' command above and let me know if
this is what is needed.

Ticket ID: MET-935016
Department: Support McIDAS