From: Valentijn Venus
Sent: Tue 5/30/2006 3:57 PM
To: Jan de Leeuw; Zhou Xiao; Iris van Duren
Cc: Gabriel Norberto Parodi; Michael Weir
Subject: RE: MSc thesis Xiao Zhou

Dear Zhou Xiao,

Please find attached the model that allows you to investigate what the
maximum acceptable error is for water temperature and insolation.
Iteratively adjust the values in C:\WILDCEL\WEATHER\ and analyse the
sensitivity of the model outputs to errors in the input. This will
dictate which methods/techniques for estimating solar radiation and/or
water temperature yield estimates within a max. acceptable error
margin. We have a JAVA-based solution that links estimated input
variables (insolation, water temperature, etc.) from satellite imagery
to the attached model entitled "VALLA", see attachement. Below you'll
find some more info related to the 2 or 3 satellites we have access to
their hourly data. I will start archiving FY2C data starting from next
week Monday.

One weak point in the modeling approach the authors of VALLA took is to
relate water temperature to air temperature, as in their cases water
temp. has not been measured. So they used generic/tabulated values of
daily water temperature as function of day number (oC, day). I just
send the author of the model an e-mail asking for the source code, so
that me may replace these with remotely sensed water temperatures...

Kind regards, Valentijn

FY2C (Feng-Yun-2; FY2C)
FY2C (China)
105° East