[McIDAS #LMF-659255]: McIDAS ADDE

Hi Tom,

re:
> I think we're finally back in business at UGA, but I was hoping you could
> help me with some details.

Absolutely!

> We got our NOAAport system back up and
> running this past winter. Unfortunately, our primary LDM machine
> (cacimbo) had a catastrophic failure a couple of weeks ago. We had to
> rebuild everything from scratch. This time, everything but the ldm product
> queue and data partition is on a RAID 5. We learned the hard way.

Sounds very good.

> I rebuilt McIDAS, but I still don't have the ADDE fully configured. I
> thought I had set up enough to at least get text products, RTIMAGES,
> etc. I can't access it from my client system. I'm not certain whether this
> is a problem with my client or server (cacimbo). I was wondering whether
> you would point at cacimbo and see if you get anything.
> I do have 112, 500 and 503 ports open.

I just tried to access cacimbo's ADDE server from my home machine, but
access is being blocked.  I tried accessing cacimbo through ports 112
(gzip compression port), 500 (uncompressed port), and 503 (compress compression
port).  Access was denied on all with messages that look like:

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
DSINFO POINT RTPTSRC
DSINFO: Cannot contact server (connect() failed)
    No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: RTPTSRC
DSINFO -- done

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
DSINFO I RTIMAGES
DSINFO: Cannot contact server (connect() failed)
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES
DSINFO -- done

So, it looks like access is not being allowed either on cacimbo
(through its own firewall setup or through someting in /etc/hosts.allow)
or in a firewall upstream from cacimbo.

> I thought that I had followed the
> online directions. I did have a little trouble with the mcinet2005.sh
> script.
> It died saying it couldn't restart the xinetd service. I restarted
> xinetd manually.

I'll bet that xinetd was not running on cacimbo.  If this is the case
then you will need to add automatic starting of xinetd on bootup.
Also, if cacimbo has been rebooted since you started xinetd by hand,
it is probably not running now.  This could explain my inability to
access the ADDE server through any of the ports.

> One thing I'm fairly certain is set wrong is the path to the NEXRCOMP
> imagery.
> I had to move it from data/gempak/images/sat (which is where McIDAS
> still thinks to look) to data/gempak/nexrad.

This setup is easily changed by:

- making a local copy of ~mcidas/data/DSSERVE.BAT into ~mcidas/data/LSSERVE.BAT
- modifying ~mcidas/data/LSSERVE.BAT and modifying all INFO=NNEXRAD.CFG
instances
  to make them read INFO=UGANEXR.CFG
- creating ~mcidas/workdata/UGANEXR.CFG as a copy of
~mcidas/workdata/NNEXRAD.CFG
- editing ~mcidas/workdata/UGANEXR.CFG and changing DIRMASK and FILEMASK to
match
  your new location and naming convention

> Once you let me know what you see... I'll know whether it is client or
> server and then what questions to ask next!

OK.  Since I am not able to access the remote ADDE server on cacimbo through
any of the supported ports, it is likely that xinetd is not running or
there is some sort of a firewall block of the access.

> Thanks for your help.

No worries.  If you like, I can logon to cacimbo and take a look around
to get you going as quickly as possible.  Please let me know if you would
like me to do this (and I would need the 'root', 'mcidas', and 'ldm'
passwords).

One additional thing: thanks for fixing how cacimbo reports its IDD statistics!

Ticket ID: LMF-659255
Department: Support McIDAS