[McIDAS #EUV-130723]: McIDAS - Unidata NEXRAD ADDE servers not updating

Hi Russ,

re: IDD toplevel relay problems earlier today
> Would that also explain why ATM.GEO... ADDE server also stopped
> serving the NEXRAD data?

Yes.  The NEXRCOMP composite images are created on motherlode.ucar.edu
(aka adde.ucar.edu).  motherlode gets its NNEXRAD IDD feed from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu, the Unidata toplevel IDD relay node.  The
composites created on motherlode are sent in the FNEXRAD IDD feed,
again through the toplevel relay node.  So, when idd.unidata.ucar.edu
goes down or gets into a strange state (today's incident was "strange
state"), NEXRCOMP images will be unavailable from any/all ADDE servers.

> I just happened to be looking at the data at this time. I
> waited 30 minutes to see if it was just a temporary outage. I figured
> I should send you a message just in case it was a bigger problem.

We have learned that sending a note during outages that don't last
too long is typically either not of much use (especially on the
weekends), or generates a lot of unneeded email that must be responded
to.

> Glad to hear it wasn't a serious problem.

Moi aussi!

> PS - DO NOT see the new movie 'Nacho Libre' !   Gail says that the
> only thing that would have made it worse would be if Tom Hanks was in
> it.

As much as I like Jack Black, I figured that this would be a dog.  The
previews look absolutely stupid :-)

By the way (and I know you are not a Lord of the Rings fan, but it is
possibly the best movie trilogy ever made), I saw a preview for
The Hobbit Thursday night.  It is supposed to be released on December
16.  I, for one, am eagerly looking forward to it!

Ticket ID: EUV-130723
Department: Support McIDAS