Re: 20060626: European maps on satellite projection

Hello Tom,

There is no McIDAS map outline file of French departments.  If GEMPAK
has one, the ASCII version of that file can be converted to McIDAS map
outline format using the MAKEMAP command included in Unidata McIDAS.

Ok, I will try to create them. I already have the GMT (Generic Mapping
Tool) version. I will try to convert it to GEMPAK SSF map file formta.

>I am using IMGDISP with PROJ=SAT (I use a magnification).

I think you mean that you display the image using IMGDISP with a MAG=
keyword to blowup the display, and then display a MAP specifying the
PRO=SAT keyword (IMGDISP does not support a PRO= keyword).

The map outline file selected when running 'MAP SAT' or
'MAP PRO=SAT' contains only world coastal outlines.

>Is it possible to have at least political boundaries?

Yes.  All you need to do is tell MAP to plot political boundaries:

IMGDISP ...
MAP SAT
MAP POLI PRO=SAT

You can tell a single invocation of MAP to plot outlines from more than
one file through use of the FILE= keyword:

ERASE
IMGDISP ...
MAP FILE=OUTLSUPW OUTLHPOL

On top of that, you can easily control the color levels the map parts
are plotted in:

ERASE
IMGDISP ...
MAP FILE=OUTLSUPW OUTLHPOL MCOLOR=1 3

>Thanks,

Thanks again for these nice tips! It is appreciated,

Christian