[McIDAS #KFS-793806]: Trouble Installing the McIDAS-X 2005 ADDE Remote Server

Hi Adrianna,

re: getting the ADDE remote server working under Solaris 10
> We did execute the command 'svcs -x /network/mcidas/tcp', but we didn't send
> you the output because we didn't found it useful, the problem we have is one
> of the type "Gave no explanation" :$. But maybe we are missing something and
> you can help us, just like you ask me here is the output from the command:
>
> bash-3.00# svcs -x /network/mcidas/tcp
> svc:/network/mcidas/tcp:default (mcidas)
> State: maintenance since Wed Jun 14 20:38:04 2006
> Reason: Restarter svc:/network/inetd:default gave no explanation.
> See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-9C
> Impact: This service is not running.

You are correct, this output does not provide much, if any, help.

> This is our patch level:
>
> bash-3.00# showrev -p
> Patch: 116298-08 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages:
> SUNWxsrt, SUNWxrgrt, SUNWxrpcrt, SUNWjaxp
> Patch: 116302-02 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages:
> SUNWxrpcrt
> Patch: 113886-27 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages:
> SUNWglrt, SUNWgldoc, SUNWglrtu, SUNWglsrz, SUNWgldp, SUNWglh,
> SUNWglsr
> Patch: 113887-27 Obsoletes:  Requires:  Incompatibles:  Packages:
> SUNWglrtx, SUNWglsrx, SUNWgldpx

OK.  We loaded in all 'important' patches our our Solaris 10 systems.
This may be the difference between our setup and yours.

> And this is the information that appears in the logs:
>
> xica inetd[3094]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Invalid configuration
> for instance svc:/network/mcidas/tcp:default, placing in maintenance
> Jun 14 20:20:34 xica inetd[3094]: [ID 702911 daemon.error] Property
> 'proto' of instance svc:/network/mcidas/tcp:default is missing,
> inconsistent or invalid

This seems to provide more useful information that the svcs output above.
Apparently there is something in your McIDAS configuration XML file that
inetd does not like.  Have you thought about trying to replace your
configuration file contents with what we have in ours?  If you do decide to
try this, you should make sure to backup your copy first.

> We think that the installation of patches can help our situation too; the
> thing is that we have been searching and we didn't find any patch related
> with the inetd o svc command, so we don't know which patches we should
> install.

I don't think that the patch that helps is listed specifically as being
for resolution of the problems you are seeing.  The unfortunate thing is
that we installed a large set of patches at the same time without worrying
about which one might fix any inetd-related problems.  I will, nonetheless,
get together with my system administrator today to see if he has a good guess
about which patch(es) should be installed on your machine first.

> Have anyone ever successfully install an ADDE remote server in Solaris 10?,
> because maybe we can compare our release and patches, and find out what is
> missing.

Yes, we have.  This was not, however, done using the McIDAS inet configuration
script, mcinet2005.sh.  Again, the reason that mcinet2005.sh does not work is
it was not designed to work with Solaris 10.  I am now working on a v2006
McIDAS release, but I have not yet had the chance to see if the v2006 version
of the inetd configurator, mcinet2006.sh, has been updated to support
installation
on Solaris 10.

> As always, we would really appreciate your help,

I am willing to logon to your machine to try and get things working.  Since I
would need 'root' access to work with inetd configurations, folks at USB might
not be willing for this access to be given.  If, however, you/your IT folks
are willing to let me have a login (probably best as the user 'mcidas' with
either sudo capability or after being given the 'root' password in a separate
email to address@hidden (one that does not mention any machine name))
I can look around to see if there is anything that I can do to get things
working.

I will send more information on needed patches if/when my system administrator
can give me some sage advice.

Ticket ID: KFS-793806
Department: Support McIDAS