[McIDAS #UUT-396434]: Can McIDAS read BUFR or HDF?

Hi Kwan,

First, let me apologize for forgetting about your inquiry!

re:
> I would like to follow up on the question I asked about
> whether McIDAS can read HDF files.

McIDAS can be configured for ADDE datsets with files in HDF v4.3
format.  The Users Guide section on DSSERVE lists only two kinds
of data in HDF format:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/DSSERVE.html#35904

The first is AIRS imagery, the second is MODIS imagery.  I am willing to bet
that SSEC has not spent much time trying to get ADDE access to other types
of data working in McIDAS.

> I have been trying to
> run and display the RDT output.  Yesterday, I was able to
> convert the output file from BUFR to HDF.

What version of HDF?

> The HDF file
> should contain point data of projected centroid positions
> of thunderstorm cells.  I read the remarks on the DSSERVE
> command and saw that it is possible to define an HDF
> dataset as POINT type.

Yes, but not how carefully that section is worded:

  "You can read/access MODIS (and potentially other) HDF files as
  point data in MODS-format datasets created using DSSERVE with the
  TYPE, DIRFILE and INFO keywords. The TYPE keyword specifies the data
  type (POINT) of the HDF files in the dataset. The DIRFILE keyword
  specifies the directory and file masks to locate the HDF files. The
  INFO keyword specifies the name of the configuration file that maps
  the HDF file parameter names to McIDAS parameter names. The configuration
  file must be tailored specifically to the HDF files in the dataset.
  Two sample configuration files, named MOD06.cfg and MOD07.cfg, are
  available in the ~mcidas/data directory. Refer to those files when
  creating configuration files for your HDF point datasets."

> But it also requires a
> configuration file.  Could you provide me with more
> details as to how the file is defined?

The only guidance that SSEC provides is the two example configuration files
referred to above.  However, I think that the example configuration
files for netCDF datsets might be illustrative.  Take a look at:

~mcidas/data/netcdfpoint.cfg

At least that file gives some direction on what needs top be in the
configuration file.

Ticket ID: UUT-396434
Department: Support McIDAS