[McIDAS #FBA-307750]: PATH command

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Good morning.  How is the snow scene outside this morning?
> I suppose that the sun has begun melting the snow on the
> ground.

It was spitting snow this morning, but with no accumulations.
There is still about 10 inches around my house, but the roads are
all cleared.

> Thanks for your diagnoses yesterday.  Little did I expect
> that the displaying trouble was because I did not specify
> the correct BAND.

I am a bit suprised that the bands in the visible channels did
not have data since the nominal time was 11 UTC (which should
be in the daylight hours in Europe).

> I also did not expect that McIDAS could read the METEOSAT
> data directly, given a correct setup using DSSERVE.  This
> actually leads me into the next step.  Since McIDAS can
> read METEOSAT, and GOES data is available real-time
> through ADDE.

AND, one can get realtime METEOSAT-8 imagery via ADDE by registering
with EUMETSAT.  The effort to get ADDE access to METEOSAT data
has been underway for several years.  The availability was announced
at the AGU Spring Joint Assembly session I co-convened in Baltimore
back in May.

> I am thinking that it should take only some
> modifications to adapt the RDT software to read the ADDE
> GOES images.

That is my feeling also.  This is why I commented that it would
likely be easier to modify the RDT software than to write code
to convert GOES data into HRIT format.

> The questions are where, what, and how to
> modify.  I suppose I need to know the difference between
> the structure of METEOSAT and the ADDE GOES data before I
> know what to do.

Yes, exactly.

> You mentioned that it might be easiler to modify the
> program codes instead of changing the data format.  I
> asked RDT help desk a few months ago about adapting RDT to
> read GOES data.  Their reply was:
>
> "Effectively, SAFNWC products need HRIT image format. It
> is not indispensable to convert GOES-12 data in HRIT
> format for using RDT or an other PGE from SAFNWC. Indeed,
> you have just to program an interface in order to complete
> structures used by RDT.

Easy to say; harder to do :-)

> So, you replace NWCLIB by your own library to read GOES
> data. You need to program your own pge11_im_loc_dat.c, and
> respect 'Psing_region' and 'Seviri_struct' structures
> defined inside 'sevext.h' file. Don't forget to include
> '.h' from the NWCLIB."
>
> Regards,
> Yann Guillou
> M�t�o-France

Well, Yann gives the starting point, at least.

> Therefore, I have attached a couple of program files as
> indicated by Yann.  I have checked the contents of these
> files myself.  But I am afraid my novice C knowledge is
> not enough to get me started.  Would you be willing to
> take a brief look at these programs and give me some
> comments to help getting me started?

I am willing to look, but not right now.  Our training workshop
series will be staring on Monday (LDM session A) and lasting
through November 2.  In addition to conducting the McIDAS training
workshop by myself, it is being held outside of Unidata in the
UCAR CTTC facility.  Because McIDAS is being held concurrently
with other workshops, I will be forced to do most, if not all,
of the setup myself.  I am afraid that this leaves me with
virtually no time do attend to some other high priority items
like yours.  Sorry...

Also, immediately after the training workshop series, I will
be on travel for a meeting in Washington, DC.  When it rains
(or snows) it pours :-(

Ticket ID: FBA-307750
Department: Support McIDAS