[McIDAS #JPC-196190]: mcidas problems

Hi Jennie,

I remembered the login information for 'mcidas' and 'ldm' on windfall, so I
don't need the passwords (but I need 'root's if you want me to upgrade the
LDM).

I logged on and did the following:

<as 'ldm'>
- shutdown the LDM using 'ldmadmin stop'
- changed the read/write permissions on /home/mcidas/uvaworkdata/STRTABLE

<as 'mcidas'>
- enabled GRID decoding (this was not enabled for some reason) using

  DECINFO SET DMGRID ACTIVE

- defined the McIDAS string variable XCDDATA:

  TE XCDDATA "/p4/data/mcidasd

- reran the XCD setup scripts for decoding:

  BATCH XCD.BAT
  BATCH XCDDEC.BAT

<as 'ldm'>

- restart the LDM:

ldmadmin start

After doing this I noticed that alot of the XCD decoding had been occurring
in the /p4/data/xcd directory.  After defining XCDDATA above, the decoding
would mostly happen in the /p4/data/mcidasd directory.  In particular, the
*.IDX, *.IDT, and *.XCD files are now created in /p4/data/mcidasd when they
used to be created in /p4/data/xcd.  I deleted the ones in /p4/data/xcd since
they won't be used anymore and would just take up disk space.

After doing the above, you are once again decoding model output into GRID files,
and these are being written into /p4/data/mcidasd.  You are also decoding point
data (e.g., METARs, upper air, etc.), but these are being written into
/p4/data/xcd.  I could consolidate all decoding into /p4/data/mcidasd if you
like; please let me know if you want me to.

One thing to note quickly.  The GRID file that is used for miscellaneous grids
(those not put into other GRID files) will fill to its maximum size due to the
CWDI
(Convective Weather Detection Index, parameter ID=202, model ID=190, level=SFC,
from the Aviation Weather Center) and ICNG grids (Icing, parameter ID=186,
model ID=191,
level=various, from the Aviation Weather Center) that are now in the HDS feed.
At some point during each day, the output GRID file (GRID000x, and GRID0010)
will
reach their maximum size of 2 GB and other miscellaneous grids will stop being
decoded.  We can avoid filling the output GRID file by not decoding those grids.
Please let me know what you would like to do.

Let me know if things are once again working for you, or if there is more to do
on windfall.

Ticket ID: JPC-196190
Department: Support McIDAS