[McIDAS #MDM-915653]: Draw figure using disk file (satellite data: FY2C)

Hi Shiguang,

re:
> I got FY2C data in McIDAS AREA format from SSEC Data Center, University
> of Wisconsin-Madison.
>
> I think the McIDAS-Lite is suitable for the disk files, and McIDAS is
> mainly for the online real-time data.
>
> So, I have downloaded and installed McIDAS-Lite for Windows XP
> Professional plus SFU 3.5 from SSEC website.
>
> I use File-Open to select the data file, then click "OK", a "File
> Properties" window pop-up, giving reasonable "Image Informations":
>
> File Name: fy-2c_1_2005_230_0033
> Source:    FY-2C
> Date:      18 AUG 05230
> Time:      00:33:00
> Center:    24 -105 (lat/lon)
> Size:      5232*9164
> Band: 1  0.63 um Daytime cloud detection
>
> When I click "Load Image", there is no image appearing in the main
> window.  I don't know if there are some mistakes in my operation. I
> can't find the user's guide of McIDAS-Lite on the website.

Since McIDAS-Lite is not a package we support, we do not have any
experience in troubleshooting problems encountered with it.

> SSEC Data Center told me that I should be using the full version of
> McIDAS for this.

I agree.

> I have installed McIDAS on my XP-Pro with SFU 3.5.  But I don't know
> how to draw figures using disk file.  I learn from below website that,
> I should start from ~mcidas/data/DSSERVE.BAT, but I can't find this
> file in my computer.
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg01900.html
>
> Could you please show me the way?

The comment from the Unidata Mail Archives is specific to using the Unix/Linux
distribution of Unidata McIDAS.  It does not apply to the Windows version of
McIDAS since we make the SSEC version of the Windows distribution available
'as is'.

Data access in McIDAS is through client-server interactions.  The concept
that new McIDAS users have trouble with is that the server can be on the same
machine and in the same account as the client.  We can go more into this
if/when you need.

For now, you will need to become familiar with the process of creating ADDE
datasets in your McIDAS session.  This will involve running several McIDAS
utilities from the McIDAS Text and Command window:

DSINFO
DATALOC
DSSERVE
IMGLIST
IMGDISP

You can get help on any/all of these commands by using the McIDAS HELP utility
in your Text and Command window.  For example:

HELP DSINFO

etc.

The command you will be using immediately is DSSERVE.  DSSERVE creates the
mapping
between ADDE dataset names and the file(s) that comprise the dataset.

By the way, it would likely help you to understand what I will present by
working
your way through the online McIDAS Learning Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/mclearn/toc.html

and/or the McIDAS Training Workshop:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/workshop/toc.html

The following is a brief example of running DSSERVE to create an ADDE dataset
that you can then use in the display of your data.

Suppose that the FY2C data you got from the SSEC Data Center was put
in the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop and is named
fy-2c_1_2005_230_0033.

You can use DSSERVE to create an ADDE dataset named IMAGES/FY2C-VIS as follows:

DSSERVE ADD IMAGES/FY2C-VIS AREA DIRFILE='C:\Documents and
Settings\Desktop\fy-2c_1_*' "FY2C Visible images

After DSSERVE is successfully run, you should be able to access the image(s) in
the dataset:

DSINFO IMAGE IMAGES

IMGLIST IMAGES/FY2C-VIS.ALL

IMGDISP IMAGES/FY2C-VIS MAG=-5

and so on.

Again, reviewing the materials in the Learning Guide and Training Workshop
will be invaluable in learing how to use McIDAS.

> Thank you in advance!

No worries.  Please do not hesitate to ask for help if/when you need it.

Ticket ID: MDM-915653
Department: Support McIDAS