[McIDAS #LDE-412096] 20070302: missing modules when make(ing) all

>From: HansPeter Roesli <address@hidden>

Hi again HP,

re:
>Sorry, if you get this email twice (with slightly different wording,
>though). I did yesterday's email with a webmailer, the message of which
>might not pass IT security. Having re-established my Thunderbird now I
>send it again.

I got your message yesterday and sent a reply.  Did you get the reply?

>vipw worked fine. There is a little variation to the building guide as
>concerns the shell configuration file. SUSE bash names it bashrc. and
>not .bash_profile as hinted in the guide. So, up to here no problem.

The answer I provided yesterday was to the effect that the shell
configuration file used for different shells varies somewhat by
operating system.  My examples represent the set of machines we have
here in Unidata that I can test on.  I rely on users being able to
transliterate the User Guide instructions to match their own systems.

>However, when make(ing) all compilation encounters missing modules (of
>X11 type?). I have been trying to locate them with YaST, but witout
>succes so far. Any idea how mend y installation?

The makelog output you provide shows that your installation is lacking
the X window development portion.  Since we do not have any experience
in using YaST, we can not be of any direct help.  I did some web
surfing and found an interesting site that might have information of
use:

http://www.suse.de/~sh/YaST2-Package-Manager/

Partway down, I see an interesting comment about displaying all
available packages:

  Improved RPM Groups View

  When you select a higher-level RPM group, you now immediately see all
  packages in that category:  A click on Development now immediately
  shows all packages for development. Of course you can still refine that
  by selecting a subcategory like Libraries or C and C++ - but you no
  longer have to.

  In addition to that, there is a special entry zzz All (all the way down
  the group tag tree) that displays all available packages.

It might be that YaST2 has everything you need to list development
packages AND download and install them. I would test out this thought
if I had access to a SuSE machine, but, unfortunately, I don't.

>from the warmest winter ever (since 1753 at least), HP

This is a scary comment! I was in The Netherlands at the beginning of
December and I was told that it was some 14C above normal.
Interestingly, the weather here in Colorado is the snowiest it has been
in the past decade (the length of time that I have lived in my current
house) -- and I'm loving the snow!

relevant makelog output