[Support #ARA-684823]: ADDE access to remote servers

Hi Julia,

re:
> After using AXFORM to get ASCII file of the image data(the VIS band of
> GOES-12), I wonder where I can find the spectral response function for the
> GOES-12 VIS band? I have checked the unidata web site. But I didn't find
> such information. Could you please help me?

You are correct in your observation that the Unidata web site does not have
information on the spectral response function for any of the satellite bands.
My best advice is to do some web searching (Google) and look at NOAA sites.

> Further more, the ASCII data shows that every pixel is in digital counts.
> The image is 480*640, with 1 byte for each pixel.
> Is there any document that I can read explaining the conversions to
> convert from counts to reflectance?

The information contained in this URL may be of help:

http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/text/imager.calibration.html

> I have seen messages about calculation of the solar angle for each pixel
> in the mailing archieve.
> Some mentioned NAVCALC. Is it possible to write in a loop so that the
> solar angle for each pixel can be calculated?

Yes.  This would be easier to do using McIDAS subroutines to create a program
in McIDAS than to recreate a new application using the information contained in
McIDAS routines.

You might be able to get more expert help on the use of satellite data from
McIDAS users in the community.  To do this I recommend that you subscribe to
the 'mcidas-x' email list that we maintain and then send your question to those
subscribed to the list.  There are a number of satellite experts that are
subscribed
and they usually are very helpful to such requests.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online at: