[McIDAS #LDE-412096]: setting up mcadde account in Suse 10.1

Hi HP,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but the past two days
have been very busy for me...

re:
> There has been quite some progress as concerns Sahel 2007 and McIDAS!
>
> McIDAS is up and running. The shell patch for -lncurses was easy and
> worked. You might install it permanently in mccopm.sh?

I will need to do the modification with a more elaborate test that identifies
systems that do not have libcurses.a but do have libncurses.a and then
change the link option, l_opts.

> Acces to
> EUMETSAT's ADDE server is working including Marianne's native server. I
> just need to finetune the user account.

Sounds good.  We access the ADDE server from time-to-time to test things
in McIDAS and the IDV and to check out the weather over Europe and Africa.

> I am on the team for Ouagadougou. Volker wants me there and I startred
> on recalling vaccinations :-(

I got all of my vaccinations brought up to date a few weeks ago.  I am
now in the process of getting airline and hotel reservations.

> A very brief look at flight opportunities
> tells me that most probably I cannot make it before 2 April evening, due
> to personal affairs on Sunday 1 April. We will coordinate next week at
> EUMETSAT.

OK.  The first day will be dedicated to data related talks especially
the radars that are being upgraded by NCAR/RAL.

> Are there any docs and tentative programmes that would help me
> beforehand?

I will send you and Henc the newly reworked (but still draft) agenda tomorrow
sometime.  I got a copy of the agenda this afternoon, but I have not had
time to send my comments to the organizers.  I will do that first thing in
the morning and will likely have something I can mail out by noon to
midday my time.

> About accessing my Linux machine please see below.

re: open port 22 on your in-house router (if you have one)

> Port 22  is open now!

Very good.

re: open port 22 on your Linux firewall

> Not quite sure, but it should be open now.

Can you send me a copy of the firewall rules?  This will be the contents
of /usr/sysconfig/iptables.

re: IP address for your machine

> IP address is 198.168.1.7
> I keep the machine up and running from now on until I hear from you again.

I have tried accessing your machine a couple of times since first seeing your
email, but I have not had any luck.  I have tried pinging your machine; running
a traceroute to your machine; telneting to your machine; and SSHing to your
machine.
I get nowhere with any attempt.  It is as if something between Unidata and you
is blocking the port 22 traffic.  'ping' failures are not surprising, however,
since many systems turn off ping responses.

Interesting... when I try to see who the controlling authority for the IP
address you provide, I get that it is in Canada:

% awhois 198.168.1.7

OrgName:    Fonds FCAR
OrgID:      FONDSF
Address:    3700, rue du Campanile, bureau 102
City:       Sainte-Foy
StateProv:  QC
PostalCode: G1X-4G6
Country:    CA

NetRange:   198.168.1.0 - 198.168.1.255
CIDR:       198.168.1.0/24
NetName:    FCAR
NetHandle:  NET-198-168-1-0-1
Parent:     NET-198-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Assignment
Comment:
RegDate:    1993-05-24
Updated:    1993-05-24

RTechHandle: LP2-ARIN
RTechName:   Poulin, Luc
RTechPhone:  +1-418-643-8560
RTechEmail:

This is odd and unexpected since you are in northern Italy (true?)

re: You are almost finished!

> Quite so!

Aside from my being overloaded for the past couple of days, I was not
overly concerned about accessing your machine after your comment that
you had McIDAS built on your machine.  The next step, however, will
be setting up ADDE datasets on your machine that can be accessed
by either McIDAS or the IDV.

By the way, Jeff McWhirter told me two days ago that a brand new feature
had been added to the IDV.  It seems that they have added the ability
to write data gotten from remote ADDE servers into 'data bundles' (I
don't know what they are actually going to call these, so don't be
surprised if Jeff/Don use a different name).  The idea is that a user
can save data from remote ADDE servers locally and then be able to
access the local store in the same way as was done remotely.  This
will allow IDV users to easily create "casestudies" of a variety of
types of data.  I have asked Jeff to put together a couple/few of
these casestudies for use at the conference in Burkina Faso.

One final comment on the the Burkina Faso conference:  the latest thinking
is that there will be about 30 conference participants from Africa.
When you add about 10 people from outside of Africa (e.g., UCAR folks,
EUMETSAT folks, etc.) the total number should be on the order of 40.
This is considerably less than I was led to believe at the beginning
of planning for the conference.  I guess we are simply running into
the reality that travel funds are hard to come by for the majority
of people in Africa.

> rainy evening greetings, HP

The weather here has been seasonably warm and sunny.  I am hoping
for more snow!

Ticket ID: LDE-412096
Department: Support McIDAS