[Datastream #XQI-115437]: unidata imagery data stream

Hi Julia,

re:
> I have been trying to use EASTL(eastl.ssec.wisc.edu) and
> EASTS(easts.ssec.wisc.edu) data group. But it seems there is no datasets.
>
> Here is the output of DSINFO ALL EASTL.
>
> DSINFO ALL EASTL
> DSINFO: Accounting data was not valid
> Can anyone explain why?

The EASTL and EASTS datasets (both hosted by SSEC) require information that
would be specified using the McIDAS 'LOGON' command.  The user ID and project
number that would be specified using LOGON are assigned by SSEC for individual
users.  Access to the data would then be allowed, and the user accessing
the data would pay for the data s/he transferred.

The data in the EAST dataset hosted on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu is _the same_
as the data in the EASTL and EASTS datasets, but it is available to Unidata
community members free-of-charge.

> I found the data source info from
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/rtserver.html. The last update is
> 3/19/2007. It is quite new.

Again, the realtime GOES-East data in the EAST dataset is the same as the data
in the EASTL and EASTS datasets.

re: question asked in a previous email:
> So, how about EAST in unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu? Is it GOES-12?

Yes.  You can see this in IMGLIST listings:

IMGLIST EAST/CONUS.-3
Image file directory listing for:EAST/CONUS
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
2465  G-12 IMG      22 MAR 07081  14:02:00    32   87 1-4,6
2464  G-12 IMG      22 MAR 07081  13:45:00    14   72 1-4,6
2463  G-12 IMG      22 MAR 07081  13:32:00    32   87 1-4,6
2462  G-12 IMG      22 MAR 07081  13:15:00    14   72 1-4,6
IMGLIST: done

The 'G-12' field under the Satellite/sensor column stands for GOES-12.

re:
> I didn't know that LDM/IDD was set up in CCNY before. I will look for
> it.

The LDM was installed at CCNY in the past (I worked with Kwan Kong on
this).  I do not know if it is currently available/in use/setup, however.
Receiving the images you want through an LDM feed is the easiest way
to get the data.

> The reason that I want to have a lot of area files on local disk is
> that I need to use AXFORM to convert them to ASCII files, so that I can
> feed to the Matlab programs. I don't need to creat a higher resolution
> visible image sector. So, I think I will use the LDM/IDD live feed.

OK.

Ticket ID: XQI-115437
Department: Support McIDAS