[McIDAS #AIN-927620]: diagnosing issue with ADDE server

Hi Robert,

re: the real problem is lack of support for Solaris 10

> So does this mean Wisconsin is going to EOL support for Solaris as
> you hinted at last year?

Honestly, I don't know, but I suspect that this is _not_ a harbinger of
dropping support for Solaris.  I have seen some activity through the
McIDAS code CVS repository of work on mcinet.sh, but I don't know what
that work was aimed at.

re: if you knew of the need to convert the inetd.conf entry created by
mcidas2006.sh using inetconv?

> No, I did not know that.  As usual I am in the boat of wearing so many
> hats that the sys admin hat has to take a back seat to some extent.

I figured that might be the case.  Solaris 10 has a LOT of changes from
Solaris 9.  The moving away from inetd.conf configuration to the XML
based configuration is just one of them.

> What I do know about Solaris 10, that makes perfect sense now.  I am
> running Update 2 with recent but not latest patches, but it's not an
> early version.

Then I suspect that you will be good to go after you run inetconv followed
by svccfg.

re: please let me know the results of your testing.

> Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.  The setup should be straightforward on a fully patched Solaris 10
system.  We had to struggle when we first configured ADDE access on
our Solaris x86 10 GOES-10 ingest machine (goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu)
because it was a partially patched installation of a beta 10 release.
Since Mike brought the OS fully up to date, we have had no problems.

Ticket ID: AIN-927620
Department: Support McIDAS