[McIDAS #AIN-927620]: diagnosing issue with ADDE server

Hi Robert,

re:
> It's working now.  Somehow .mcenv got deleted.  I restored it and all is well.

Excellent!  So, all you had to do was convert the inetd.conf entry created by
mcinet2006.sh using inetconv and make it active using svccfg; correct?

Please confirm that you did _not_ need to make any modification to
~mcidas/bin/mcservsh.
Again, I was forced to make a change on our Solaris x86 10 system
goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu.

> On a side note..I realized that I forgot to add the shmmax entry to
> /etc/system on my
> Solaris x86/Windows laptop..yet McIDAS works anyway.  Should I go ahead and
> add that entry
> or is that no longer needed under Solaris 10.

My advice is to not do the modification until you prove to yourself that it is
needed.
The recommendation to increase the maximum shared memory segment size was based
on
older Solaris distributions that only allowed for 1 MB of shared memory out of
the box.
This very small amount did not support the user running McIDAS sessions with
multiple
frames of reasonable size.

> Thanks as always for your help.

No worries.  I am very interested in other Solaris 10 users experiences in
installing
McIDAS-X/-XCD and remote ADDE access. (i.e., please don't forget to answer the
question
above :-)

> I was thinking about coming up for the IDV training session, but we will be
> on vacation
> in Palm Beach, FL during that time.  Boulder is nice, but it's hard to top
> Palm Beach.

The nice thing about the IDV is that you can learn a lot from the online
workshop
materials and the built in Users Guide.  I would recommend that you download it
and play around to get a feel for what is possible.  I would also recommend that
you read the manual 'cause there is a lot more there than meets the eye!

Ticket ID: AIN-927620
Department: Support McIDAS