[McIDAS #KNL-950064]: McIDAS on OS X... which gcc compiler?

Hi Tom,

re:
> Hey, Tom, thanks for writing back. I'm quite sure I did have the environment
> set. I copied the appropriate environment settings to the .profile and
> sourced it from the bash shell. It gets the McINST_ROOT set, for example.

OK.  You have likely seen that I have been logged onto your machine this
morning to troubleshoot building McIDAS-X v2006h.  I have been doing this
while simultaneously being logged on to your machine, and our machine...
The build worked out of the box on our machine, but not on yours (sigh).

After reading the 'configure' script for the PNG package, I found that
by setting CXX to 'no', I could get past the /lib/cpp error that you
were seeing.

The next problem encountered was 'g77' not being found. I got around this
by setting PATH in my login enviornment and then started the build from
scratch again.

The next problem I found is one that I can not fix as 'mcidas':

mccomp: Using default optimizations
rm -f convdlmf.o
g77 -c -O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide -O -I.
-I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src -I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc -I../jpeg -I../libpng
-I../zlib -I../tiff/libtiff -I../libgeotiff convdlmf.f
compile convdlmf.f:             done
./mccomp -O -s -g77 -o convdlm convdlmc.o convdlmf.o
mccomp: Using default optimizations
g77 -O -o convdlm convdlmc.o convdlmf.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lm
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lgcc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
link    convdlm:                FAILED

I reread the advice regarding the need to possibly rename libgcc.a listed in
the McIDAS-X Users Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/PreparingtheWorkstation.html#25760

Renaming the g77 library on Mac OS X

On Mac OS X systems, a collision can occur between the g77 version of the
libgcc.a file and the Apple-supplied file of the same name. To resolve the
conflict, the system administrator should run the three commands below to
rename the file to libgcc_g77.a in the
/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0/3.4.0/ directory and create a link
to it in the /usr/local/lib/ directory. Note that the version numbers in the
directory path may be different on your system.

Type:  cd /usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0/3.4.0
Type:  mv libgcc.a libgcc_g77.a
Type:  ln -s libgcc_g77.a /usr/local/lib/

which gave me the clue to start looking at /usr/lib/libg77_gcc.a.  Here is what
I found on your system:

buran:/usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/4.3.0 mcidas$ ls -alt
/usr/local/lib/libgcc_g77*
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  gempak  12 May  1 13:52 /usr/local/lib/libgcc_g77.a ->
libgcc_g77.a

The link made (presumably by you becoming 'root' with an 'su root' when logged
in as 'gempak') pointed nowhere.

Note that the link really points nowhere.  I think what you should try is
what is listed in the McIDAS Users Guide:

<as ''root'>
cd /usr/local/lib/gcc/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/4.3.0
mv libgcc.a libgcc_g77.a
ln -s libgcc_g77.a /usr/local/lib/

I would have done this, but I do not have 'root' capabilities:

"mcidas is not in the sudoers file"

After performing the step above, I can continue in my troublshooting
activities.  Please let me know when you have made the change (or
give me sudo access).

> I did go ahead and install the gcc4.2 for the heck of it (in the /sw
> directory tree),
> just as an FYI. I haven't used it at all. The path still points to
> apple's build of gcc (4.0 I think).

OK.  I don't think that this has anything to do with the problems you
are seeing.

> If you want to take a look, go ahead. The machine is buran.ggy.uga.edu. I left
> the log files from the failed build.

Thanks.  I have made several failed build attempts this morning.  I believe
that I am close to being able to build; what is needed for the next step
is the renaming and linking of the gcc library as indicated above.

> Thanks!

No worries.  This is my first exposure to one of the new Intel-based Macs, so
it is a valuable learning experience.

Ticket ID: KNL-950064
Department: Support McIDAS