[McIDAS #KNL-950064]: McIDAS on OS X... which gcc compiler?

Hi Tom,

While running some tests on buran this morning, I learned that you
will need to increase the amount of shared memory available.  I
was unable to create a McIDAS-X session that had 10 frames of 600 lines
and 800 elements -- a fairly minimal session.

Please take a look at the MacOS-X section of:

Shared Memory Configuration
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/workstation.html

and try the recommendations listed for the Tiger release.  This will
have you modify an entry in /etc/rc and then reboot.

I was able to create a session with 5 600x800 frames and exercise some
McIDAS commands (DATALOC, IMGLIST, IMGDISP, MAP, FRMSAVE, PANEL, etc.
The results of two of the tests can be seen in:

~mcidas/workdata/goeseast_20070506_1315.gif   <- display of GOES-East IR
composite
~mcidas/workdata/goeseast_20070506_1415.gif   <- multi-panel display of
GOES-East
                                                 composites

The second example was created by running a McIDAS BATCH file (that, in turn,
runs a McIDAS McBASI script) that I SCPed to buran:

<as 'mcidas'>
mcenv -f5@750x900 -g 32 i- 128
batch.k RTIMAGES.BAT CONTINUE=YES
frmsave.k 1 goeseast_20070506_1415.gif
exit

The files I SCPed to your ~mcidas/workdata directory are:

RTIMAGES.BAT  <- McIDAS BATCH file
INFO.MCB      <- McIDAS McBASI script
GSH2O.ST      <- stretch table used when loading the H2O composite

I would have tried running a McIDAS session on buran with display
back to my home machine, but for two problems:

- SSH on MacOS-X does not seem to honor the '-X' or '-Y' flags, so
  the DISPLAY environment variable does not get set when I login
  with 'ssh -Y address@hidden'

- my network is firewalled to not allow X displays to be sent

I may play around with tunneling SSH to see if I can get it working,
but the real test of your system will be when you try to bring
up a McIDAS session from the system console (first as 'mcidas').

I will let you know if I run into anything unexpected while testing,
but I am not expecting anything given the tests I have run so far.

Ticket ID: KNL-950064
Department: Support McIDAS