[McIDAS #PIS-666311]: McIDAS 2007 woes

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> Found part of the problem. I didn't tell McADDE that its home directory
> was /home/mcidas. Reran it and got...

Ah Ha!

> [root@weather mcidas]# sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde
> mcinet2007: /etc/services: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2007: xinet: Using xinetd.d to set up services
> mcinet2007: /etc/hosts.allow: mcidas already set up
> mcinet2007: /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas: modifying file
> mcinet2007: telling xinetd to reread its configuration
> Stopping xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
> Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
> mcinet2007: waiting for xinetd to reread its configuration
> getnameinfo failed
> getnameinfo failed
> getnameinfo failed
> mcinet2007: xinetd mcidas configuration installed successfully
>
> Hmmmmmmm.

I have never seen the 'getnameinfo failed' message before, so I cannot
comment.  My only comment is that the best procedure for running
the McIDAS ADDE remote server setup script, mcinet<version>.sh, is to
run it to remove a setup followed by running it to install the setup:

<as 'root'>
cd /home/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2006.sh uninstall mcadde
sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde

NOTE however, that there were no changes in v2007 that would have
required one to uninstall what was there and reinstall for the new
version.  Your invocation of mcinet2007.sh did not harm because it
ended up doing nothing, so no worries :-)

Since your machines (weather[12]) referenced in the list of cooperating
community servers:

Publically Accessible McIDAS ADDE servers
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html

I would like to ask you to consider running the XCD GRIB filer and
ADDE remote serving of model data.  This would require the installation
of MySQL on your machines (the server, client, and development packages)
and doing more processing.  The impact on your machine would be relatively
minor.  The reason I ask is that I want to try and standardize the ADDE
installations at commuity server sites.  This way, downstreams can point
at any of those sites and expect to be able to access the same sets of
data.  There is no need to make a snap decision; I am just asking you
to consider this.  If you agree to do this, I could help you through
the installation/setup (easy with mcxconfig).  You would, however, need
to do the MySQL installations as I do not have 'root' login to your
macines, and MySQL must be installed by 'root'.

Ticket ID: PIS-666311
Department: Support McIDAS