[McIDAS #XLJ-825608]: Trouble setting up ADDE service for IDV use

Hi Art,

Sorry for not being able to reply immediately... I have been squashing a
couple of bugs that I found in the McIDAS v2007 distribution.  I cut a
new distribution and put it out for download, so you may consider getting
the latest if/when you have time.

> I'm trying to set up an ADDE service for IDV access but the ADDE service
> doesn't seem to want to allow access.  I'm running IDV 2.3 on an XP box
> and I'm able to see on the ADDE server in the SERVER.LOG file that the
> client is hitting the server, but the client reports there's no data
> available.  If I click the "List public datasets..." icon in IDV, it says
> none are available.

This may have something to do with my not having paid enough attention to
populating the file PUBLIC.SRV with datasets that are available to be
served.  In my defense, the PUBLIC.SRV construct is not used by McIDAS
at all; it was added as a convenience for the IDV access to the ADDE
server.

To configure PUBLIC.SRV to show all of the datasets you define in McIDAS
using DSSERVE, do the following:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
cp RESOLV.SRV PUBLIC.SRV
-- edit PUBLIC.SRV to remove any datasets that you do _not_ want to be
   know to the IDV via the List public datasets..." button

Question:

- what happens if you just point to the ADDE server for a dataset you
  know you have defined?

What I mean by this is:

- open up the Data Chooser for imagery
- specify the fully qualified name of the ADDE server (or its IP address)
- specify the ADDE dataset GROUP name that you have setup
- click on the connect to server button

Please let me know if you have made the ADDE server publically accessible
so I can run some tests from McIDAS on it.  I would need the fully qualified
machine name (or IP address) and the ADDE dataset group name in order to
run tests.  As you no doubt know, your firewall will have to be configured
to allow port 112 traffic if you want me to be able to run some tests using
ADDE.

> For my test setup, I've done a DSSERVE on the server as follows:
>
> DSSERVE ADD GINIEAST/1kmVIS GINI TYPE=IMAGE
> DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/sat/EAST-CONUS/1km/VIS/VIS_* "GINI 1km VIS
> East CONUS

This looks correct.

> I'm able to do an "IMGLIST GINIEAST/1kmVIS.ALL" and list a bunch of files
> on the server machine.

Very good, this proves that the definition is correct.

> Can you give me a clue as to what the "trick" is to sharing the data for
> IDV (or other?) clients?

I was just talking to Don about this yesterday or the day before...  the
IDV reads the file PUBLIC.SRV off of the server to see what datasets should
be made available.  Since the datasets a site can create is not known
apriori, it is impossible to package a PUBLIC.SRV file that will reflect
what a site has.  Also, since DSSERVE only records server mapping table
entries in RESOLV.SRV (should be located in the ~mcidas/$MCDATA directory),
there is nothing that will automatically update PUBLIC.SRV with the information
that the McIDAS administrator creates on the fly by defining ADDE datasets.

> I've scoured the documentation but it's either
> lacking or my eyes are getting blurry...

Quite frankly, I don't like the PUBLIC.SRV concept.  It was put into the
Unidata McIDAS-X distribution for the VisAD/IDV developers.  The notion
was that this file would define only those datasets that a site wanted to
appear publicly as opposed to the full set of datasets that are defined
locally in the RESOLV.SRV file.  I will have to think about what it would
take to generate PUBLIC.SRV file entries when one runs DSSERVE.

> Thanks...

No worries.  Please let me know if the above makes sense and gets you going.

Ticket ID: XLJ-825608
Department: Support McIDAS