20070825: [McIDAS #KDN-271049]: /home/data/mcidas/images isn't scouring, filling disk (cont.)

Hi Gilbert,

First, our web server is being worked on this morning, so I am forced
to send emails from the support account.  No worries for you, but the
email headers will be different, and I wanted you to know why...

re: Help!  I need a more clear picture before being able to proceed!!

You responded:

>On weather2, I am decoding for both GEMPAK and McIDAS. On weather, I do
>not have the disk space, and on weather3, I don't have the processing
>speed. I do plan to replace weather2 and weather3 in the not-too-distant
>future with Core 2 duo quad PC's with a Q6700 motherboard and 4 GB
>of RAM...that should be faster. :-)

re:
>Does that help?

It helps a bit, but it your statement was not definitive enough for
me to be able to act with surity.

Let's deal with one machine at a time.  First up is weather:

1) I was worried that you were wasting processing power on weather
   by running all ingested data through both ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
   and ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak.  To avoid this, I used grep to figure
   out exactly what feeds you had processing actions for.  I then
   used this list to specify which feeds would be processed by
   each of the pqact invocations.  This should cut down on the
   CPU you are using on weather.  Of course, I restarted the LDM
   to make the changes take effect.

2) I noticed that no data had been processed through pqact.gempak
   since May 11.  I further noticed that the modification date/time
   on pqact.gempak was May 11.  Since the 'exec' of a pqact to
   do processing listed in pqact.gempak was NOT commented out in
   ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf, I figured that you still want to do some
   of the processing included in pqact.gempak.

   Question: do you want to do some of the processing in pqact.gempak?

   If the answer is yes, then the error I found in pqact.gempak at line
   260 must be corrected. (It appears that you failed to comment out a
   line when editing the file on May 11.  Because of this omission no
   actions beyond line 260 are being processed!)

   NOTE: if the error in pqact.gempak is fixed, you will resume dual
   processing of a bunch of image data: UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS), NIMAGE,
   NNEXRAD, FNEXRAD.

So, the first question is if you still want to do some/all of the
processing listed in ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak.

- if the answer is yes, exactly which of the processing do you want to do?

- if the answer is no, then the 'exec' of the pqact that will use
  ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak should be commented out and the LDM restarted.

- in either case, the typo in ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak should be fixed so
  that if you ever decide to use the file in the future it will be
  error free.

After you review the comments/questions above and make appropriate
decisions, I should know enough to adjust the processing being done in
the ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidas[AB] files.  Then, I will need to adjust
the ADDE dataset definitions to match the locations were image data is
being decoded.  I should also be able to fixup the scouring of image
data to scour the new stuff and remove the old, unused stuff.