[McIDAS #HZP-657281]: Moving McIDAS-XCD server

Hi Hsie,

Quick update on stratus.al.noaa.gov status:

1) decoding is proceeding nicely.  Currently active is:

   - NOAAPORT POINT data (XCD)
   - NOAAPORT TEXT data (XCD)
   - NOAAPORT GRID (model) data: being filed to disk, but metadata
     ot written to MySQL database
   - IDD UNIWISC images (being filed to disk using ~ldm/util/ldmfile.sh)
   - IDD NIMAGE images (being filed to disk using ~ldm/util/ldmfile.sh)
   - IDD FNEXRAD images (being filed to disk using ~ldm/util/ldmfile.sh)
   _ IDD NNEXRAD images (being filed to disk using ~ldm/util/ldmfile.sh)

   In switching from decoding the various types of images using ldm-mcidas
   decoders (e.g., pnga2area, pngg2gini, zlibg2gini), I did the following:

   - modified the 'exec pqact' entries in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf to use the
     pqact.conf_mcidas[AB] files created by mcxconfig

   - consolidated the feed requests down to 2; this is more efficient
     given that you are feeding from a machine in your same lab across
     a Gbps connection.  In fact, the feed request could be reduced to
     a single request line with no problems

   - commented out the generic 'exec pqact' that runs actions from
     ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf.  This decision should be reviewed to make
     sure that something that was supposed to run was not stopped
     unwittingly

   - modified entries in 'ldm's crontab; please take a look to see
     if you have any questions about what I did and why (NB: I
     commented out several actions that were there)

   - commented out a number of lines from ~ldm/etc/scour.conf.  I
     did this since:

     - mcscour.sh scours McIDAS-XCD generated files

     - scourBYnumber scours images now being filed under the directories
       /home/ldm/data/mcidas/(sat|NEXRCOMP|NIDS)

2) reran the McIDAS-X/-XCD configuration script, mcxconfig

   - I did this so that the pqact.conf entries for processing NIMAGE and
     FSL2 data would be created

3) reviewed and updated McIDAS REDIRECTions specified in
~mcidas/solaris/data/LOCAL.NAM.

   - The changes made were to correctly identify where the BLIZZARD training
     dataset images are on stratus, ~ldm/data/mcidas/tutorial

   - made the REDIRECTions active:

     <as 'mcidas'>
     cd $MCDATA
     redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

4) reviewed the ADDE server mapping table creation entries in
   ~mcidas/solaris/data/LSSERVE.BAT

   - the entries looked fine

   - I make the LSSERVE.BAT entries active:

     <as 'mcidas'>
     cd $MCDATA
     batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

5) reviewed the client routing table entries in
   ~mcidas/solaris/data/LOCDATA.BAT

   - edited the file to use the fully qualified hostname for stratus

   - modified the entry for RTGRIDS to point at adde.ucar.edu

6) tried to figure out why I can not access the ADDE server on stratus
   through the remote ADDE interface:

   - it appears that the service is not online:

     <as 'mcidas'>
     svcs
     maintenance    Aug_28   svc:/network/mcidas-tcp:default

   - the same command run on one of our Solaris 10 machines shows what
     the entry should look like:

     <as 'mcidas'>
     svcs
     online         Jun_29   svc:/network/mcidas/tcp:default

   I think you should try to activate the service as follows:

   <as 'root'>
   cd /home/mcidas
   sh ./mcinet2007.sh uninstall mcadde
   sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde

   After doing this, rerun 'svcs' to see if the service is online.  If
   it isn't, I would be inclined to reboot.

7) I did not get a chance to talk to Mike Schmidt about how to go about
   configuring the MySQL database.  We are in a retreat for a good portion
   of tomorrow, so I may not be able to get you the information you need
   until Thursday.  In the meantime, I will do some web surfing to see if
   I can find a good reference for what needs to be don.

Ticket ID: HZP-657281
Department: Support McIDAS