[McIDAS #NIB-258499]: mcidas build failure on fortran

Hi Tyn,

I hope that you are well and having fun :-)

re:
> i'm having problems compiling McIDAS on a Redhat Enterprise 5.0 edition. The
> fortran compiler
> installed on the system is:
>
> [mcidas@localhost src]$ gfortran -dumpversion
> GNU Fortran 95 (GCC) 4.1.1 20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-52)
>
> GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING
>
> but still the build script can't find it, see below...
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes.  The error shown below shows that you are setup to try and use 'g77' as
the Fortran compiler on your system:

> g77 -c -O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide -fno-f2c -O
> -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src -I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc -I../jpeg
> -I../libpng -I../zlib -I../tiff/libtiff -I../libgeotiff
> -I../jasper/src/libjasper/include -I../g2clib convdlmf.f
> ./mccomp: line 1281: g77: command not found
> compile       convdlmf.f:             FAILED

Note the comment: 'g77: command not found'.

This tells me that your Unix environment is not setup to specify use of
'gfortran' as the
Fortran compiler.

Please add the needed lines to your shell definition file (e.g., .cshrc for
Tcsh and Csh; .bash_profile
for BASH, etc.) as per the instructions in the Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide:

Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html
  Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html
    Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

NOTE: you might need to remove definitions that are holdovers from previous
installations.

The lines listed are setup to use 'g77' as the Fortran compiler.  Since you
have 'gfortran', you
will need to change the line (.bash_profile syntax):

VENDOR=-g77

to:

VENDOR=-gfortran

Once the indicated lines have been added to your shell-definition file, AND
after the Unidata
McIDAS-X distribution has been unpacked, you should logoff and log back on to
force the
definitions to take affect.  After you log off and the log back on, verify that
the needed
definitions have been made:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
env | grep ^MC

Next, verify that your McIDAS distribution is up to date:

cat ~mcidas/mcidas2007/data/VERSION.TXT

I released v2007g on Sunday night.  Your VERSION.TXT listing should look like:

2007g  Unidata 071021

if it is up to date.  If it is not, you should update it before proceeding:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2007/update
-- download the files mcupdate.tar.gz and mcupdate.list.2007g from the
   Unidata website or FTP server.  Make sure that you put these files
   in the ~mcidas/mcidas2007/update directory!

./mcupdate

Next, try building the McIDAS distribution from the beginning:

<still as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2007/src
make clobber        <- clean out the previous build attempt
make                <- build McIDAS-X by itself
  -- OR --
make all            <- build McIDAS-X and -XCD

Please let me know if the above did not solve your problem.  Also, please let
me know if
the build went smoothly since I do not have a RedHat Enterprise 5.0 system to
test on.

Ticket ID: NIB-258499
Department: Support McIDAS