[McIDAS #OXG-395498]: conversion of lac level1b to area format

Hi Marc,

I apologize for the lateness of my reply.  I just returned from a trip
to Brazil yesterday evening, and am currently catching up on the support
inquiries that accumulated while I was gone.

> I have another question about Mcidas. One of my colleagues is now trying
> to convert the AVHRR level 1b into area format with Mcidas X.

Very good.  Please let me know how this effort goes.

> On my end
> it looks like Mcidas V needs to use the ADEE server.

McIDAS-V should be able to read the files directly if they are in
AREA format.  I will check with developers to make sure that I am
not incorrect on this.

> As this might take
> some time for me, I was wondering if you know whether Mcidas Lite will
> read in these level 1b data just as the X version could?

I am not very familiar with McIDAS Lite as it is not a package that is
supported by Unidata.  I would guess that it would _not_ be able to read
the level 1b data directly, but I am not sure.  If it has the level 1b
server code built into it, it might be able to read the data.  Without
looking at the executables that come with McIDAS Lite, I can not say for
sure.

OK, I just downloaded McIDAS Lite and took a look at the executables
bundled with it.  Since I do not see the level 1b server executables, I
would say that McIDAS Lite can not serve the level 1b images directly.

> Thanks again.

No worries.  Again, sorry I took so long to reply.

Ticket ID: OXG-395498
Department: Support McIDAS