[McIDAS #TYO-200589]: mcidas workshop lecture notes

Hi Tyn,

I shifted our exchanges over to our inquiry tracking system since they deal
intimately
with McIDAS.

re:
> Thanks!!

No worries.

> I'll reinstall everyhting tommorrow on my laptop as per your webpage
> instructions. Just to
> practice my rusty mcidas skills...

A worthy endeavor ;-)

re: is access your 'dataset' LOCAL-DATA

> yes

Very good.

re: is your 'dataset' group/descriptor.position or alias/position

> yes

Also, very good.

re: is your 'dataset' in AREA file format

> yes

Excellent.

> > aputserv.fp - AREA output
>
> It is in AREA so in theory IMGCHA MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 BAND=33 should show new
> info if i set SS=0?

Yes, _IF_ your newly modified copy of SATBAND is the copy that is being accessed
during IMGLIST invocations.  I am assuming that you put your modified copy of
SATBAND in the ~mcidas/workdata directory.  Is this true?

If you modified SATBAND "in place", then it will be overwritten the next time
you do
a installation or possibly when you install an addendum.

re: DIRFILE= will work for files of any name, but sometimes one will want to
use the cylinder approach to data set definition

> Ok, so (symbolic) renaming the AREA files would void the first condition and
> the DIRFILE option should work?

The DIRFILE= approach will work always.  For instance, you could create a
dataset
of the single file you have created as follows:

DSSERVE ADD TYN/IMAGE AREA DIRFILE=directory_where_image_is_located/AREA2000
TYPE=IMAGE "Test Image

I only mentioned creating a symbolic link to remind you that you can.

If you can not get a listing after making the various changes, then you can
specify
the TRACE=1 keyword combination in the client's IMGLIST request (I don't know
how
to do this with the IDV).  This tells the server to write out debug information
into a file named 'trce'.  'trce' could be in your ~mcidas/workdata or
~mcidas/mcidas/data
directory.  The debug output may well point you to the problem being
encountered.

Example from a McIDAS client:

DATALOC ADD TYN machine_where_TYN_exists
DSINFO IMAGE TYN
IMGLIST TYN/IMAGE FORM=ALL TRACE=1

Again, one should always first verify that the elements in a dataset can be
used by
the user creating the dataset.  After this is all working correctly, then try
the same access through the remote ADDE interface.

Ticket ID: TYO-200589
Department: Support McIDAS