[McIDAS #EXQ-796373]: McIDAS install

Hi Dave,

re:
> don't know of any wierd networking problems.  there are no firewalls or
> anything running like iptables or anything on climate.  its a completely
> open linux system, nothing in the hosts.deny or hosts.allow tables either
> so it is allow all.  the only firewall we have for it is at the parimeter
> for the whole campus, and for local traffic it isn't even routed to there.

My comment was basically me scratching my head about what is being seen:
ADDE transfers using the remote interface were succeeding some (most?) of
the time and failing at other times.  Since the data serving portion of the
ADDE transaction is exactly the same for remote access as it is for local
access, the only thing left is the network interaction.  Since the ADDE server
has been working without flaw for a number of years on a variety of Linux
systems ** including Debian **, Solaris, Solaris x86, AIX, IRIX and HPUX,
it would seem to indicate that there is something peculiar/unique happening
on climate.

Since I have not heard back from Paul, I am working under the assumption that
the strange problems he was seeing in the log files went away after I switched
from use of the remote ADDE interface to serving data through LOCAL-DATA access.
Hopefully Paul will let me us know if he continues to see problems in the
generation of products for the COD website.

Ticket ID: EXQ-796373
Department: Support McIDAS