[McIDAS #STG-808468]: Conversion of mcidas area to shapefile format

Hi Martha,

re:
> I am working with Randy on this.

OK...

> This morning, I upgraded our NOAAPXCD system to 2008 McIDAS/XCD.  Right
> now, we are successfully receiving most data, but there are a couple of
> problems.
>
> We are for the first time trying to decode the GRIB2 data.

OK.  Just for clarity sake, I would call this processing GRIB2 data for use
with the GRIB server.

> I thought I
> had all the mysql software on the system before building McIDAS, but it
> turned out I was missing mysql-server.

OK.  Is the machine running your XCD decoding/processing a Linux box, or
is AIX (or something else)?

> I did build McIDAS/XCD
> With MySQL_ROOT set to TRUE, and after I installed the mysql-server I
> started it.

Question:

- did you create the MySQL database that will be used by the GRIB filer
  and server?

  This is one of the first steps needed in the process of setting up GRIB
  serving.

> I also ran the "mcxconfig" command after I did the upgrade.

> But when I try to use the "gribadmin latest" command, I get the message
> "Access denied for user ''@' localhost' to database mcrtgrib".

This tells me that the access to the MySQL server database has not been
setup, and, most likely, the database has not been created.

> I believe that our NOAAP ingestor is sending the grib2 data properly, and
> am attaching the output of the notifyme command.

The 'notifyme' listing you sent shows no listing for data in the NGRID
datastream.  Presumably you let the 'notifyme' invocation run for awhile
to see if any data was received.

If you did leave 'notifyme' running and the listing was blank like in
your attachment, it means that your NOAAPort ingest system is not putting
any products into the NGRID datastream.  This likely means that your
NOAAPort ingest side is not completely setup.  I think that this is where
we should start our investigations.  We will return to setting up the
MySQL stuff _after_ you are getting NGRID data.

> In addition, I am
> confused about the ldmd.conf and pqact.conf edits you suggest, as our
> versions of these files look different.  I am also attaching our
> versions of these files.

In Unidata McIDAS v2007 I included the creation of McIDAS-specific LDM
configuration file entries and corresponding LDM pattern-action files.
I did this because many Unidata sites run both McIDAS decoding AND GEMPAK
decoding.  I was trying to keep things separate for those users.

Your LDM setup is different than the one I have 'mcxconfig' setup... this is
NOT a problem for your installation as you have put McIDAS-XCD-specific
entries in your ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf file:

tail -9 pqact.conf

#
# McIDAS-XCD
#
IDS|DDPLUS      .*      PIPE
        xcd_run DDS
HRS|NEXRAD      .*      PIPE
        xcd_run HRS

I do, however, see a problem with this setup: the feeds that should be
processed by the McIDAS-XCD binary ingester should be the following:

HRS|NGRID      .*      PIPE
        xcd_run HRS

Note the difference:  NGRID, not NEXRAD!!!

This error will not have made any difference on your setup as you are not
yet receiving NGRID data from your NOAAPort ingest machine.

> All the decoders, including GRIB and GRIBFILER are active, so I am
> rather at a loss.

My best guess is:

- your NOAAPort ingest machine is not putting content in the NGRID
  datastream

- your MySQL setup on the machine doing the decoding and eventual ADDE
  serving is not yet correct

Please send a new inquiry related to your NOAAPort setup to address@hidden
(i.e., please do not reply to this message).  This will help keep your
NOAAPort-related
questions separate from your McIDAS-related questions.  After we get your
NOAAPort-ingest
working correctly, we will return to this ticket to fixup the GRIB filing and
serving.

In your new inquiry to address@hidden, please include the
~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file from your NOAAPort ingest machine.

Ticket ID: STG-808468
Department: Support McIDAS