[McIDAS #JZW-931485]: Help! I can't get McIDAS 2008 to compile under CentOS 5.2!

Hi Gilbert,

I logged onto your CentOS 5.2 machine before heading off for my 13:30
meeting.  I made one small change to your .cshrc file ('mcidas' on weather4
is setup to use the Tcsh), and then rebuilt McIDAS v2008 from scratch with
no problems.

Here's a blow-by-blow:

<on weather4 as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas
cp .cshrc cshrc.bak
vi .cshrc

-- change the McIDAS defines section to what is recommended

Your 'mcidas' user is now setup as per the recommendations in the Unidata
McIDAS website for configuring the 'mcidas' user:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Unidata McIDAS HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

    Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

      Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html#63755

        Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html#22841

In the last page is a table that lists the shell-specific configurations one
should
use for their 'mcidas' account.  I simply cut and pasted the stuff for Cshell
like
shells (i.e., non-conforming shells) into your .cshrc _after_ deleting the other
McIDAS-related things that were already there:

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR non-conforming shell defines
# needed to build McIDAS
setenv McINST_ROOT $HOME
setenv VENDOR -gfortran

# NOTE: uncomment the line that sets MySQL_ROOT if you want to
#       build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
#         location
# setenv MySQL_ROOT TRUE

if ( -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh ) then
  source $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
endif

The only change I made to the piece snipped from the webpage was to change
the VENDOR setting from '-g77' to 'gfortran'.  The other thing I did was
to comment out the setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I next clobbered the existing McIDAS build:

<still as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2008/src
make clobber

Noticing that the ~mcidas/admin directory did not contain what it should
after mcidasx2008.tar.gz is ungzipped/untarred, I extracted the distribution
again:

cd ~mcidas
tar xvzf mcidasx2008.tar.gz

I then logged off and logged back in (SSHed in, that is).  I did this so that
the
'mcidas' environment would be set by the entries I put in .cshrc (i.e., the
sourcing
of $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh).

After the environment was correctly set, I rebuilt McIDAS:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2008/src
make all
make install.all

The build and install went without any hiccups.

So, the only thing needed was to correctly set the environment for the user
'mcidas'.

Given that you periodically rebuild a system from scratch, it would be a good
idea
to use the 'mcidas' .cshrc setup on weather4 as your template from now on.

One last thing, and this is only for my curiosity:  I see that you are using a
CentOS kernel with Xen virtualization capability:

weather4-niu Mci-122$ uname -a
Linux weather4.admin.niu.edu 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plusxen #1 SMP Wed Dec
17 12:11:57 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Are you planning on running some virtual machines?

Ticket ID: JZW-931485
Department: Support McIDAS