[McIDAS #STG-808468]: Conversion of mcidas area to shapefile format

Hi Martha and Randy,

re:
> I am answering this from home as Randy said, and getting the info re our VPN -
> please send any reply to my ngc address as well.

OK, will do.  Hopefully the list of CC recipients will not be too long
(recall that our inquiry tracking system has a problem with CC addresses
when the sum of characters in the addresses gets close to 80).

By the way, who is address@hidden?  If it is either you or Randy,
can I delete it from the CC list?

> We use /data/nexrad/ as the head of the directory tree.  I am attaching
> a file with the relevant lines (i.e., DIRMASK and so on) from NNEXRAD.CFG
> and a sample directory listing showing  file names and directory names.

OK, thanks.  This helps...

> When you say  NNEXRAD.CFG is a template to be copied to another file, what
> do you mean?

The file NNEXRAD.CFG is distributed with each Unidata McIDAS release.  This
means that it will be overwritten each time you install a new Unidata
McIDAS release or, possibly, when you install a Unidata McIDAS addendum.
If you modify NNEXRAD.CFG directly, you _will_ lose your changes to the
file when you do a new install.  The best way to avoid this situation
is to make a copy of the file; modify the copy; and use the copy in
the ADDE dataset definition.

> Here is an example of one of the nexrad directories and the files in it:
>
> /data/nexrad/LWX
> [root@noaapxcd LWX]# ls
> DHR  DSP  N0S  N0Z  N1R  N1V  N2S  N3S  NET  NTP  NVW  RSL
> DPA  N0R  N0V  N1P  N1S  N2R  N3R  NCR  NMD  NVL  RCM
>
> /data/nexrad/LWX/N0R
> [root@noaapxcd N0R]# ls
> lwx_20090128_2130.n0r  lwx_20090128_2139.n0r  lwx_20090128_2149.n0r
> lwx_20090128_2134.n0r  lwx_20090128_2144.n0r

OK.  So an N0R product from LWX can be described by the following
DIRMASK and FILEMASK in your local copy of NNEXRAD.CFG:

DIRMASK=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE
FILEMASK=\id_*.\type

Where:

\ID   == LWX
\id   == lwx
\TYPE == N0R
\type == n0r

What you have now:

> DIRMASK=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE
> FILEMASK=\TYPE_*.\ID
> IPMASK=*

will _NOT_ work if you using the INFO=<config file> method of defining the
ADDE dataset.

The problem for me is that I don't know exactly which method you are now
using for defining your ADDE NEXRAD Level III dataset.  Since you commented
that you ran 'mcxconfig', and since you commented that you changed the
MCPATH setting in /home/mcadde/.mcenv, I will assume that your remote
ADDE server is using the server mapping table /home/mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV.
If this is the case, and if the entries in this copy of RESOLV.SRV were
created by 'mcxconfig', then you are _NOT_ using the INFO=<config file>
method of defining your NEXRAD Level III dataset.  Instead, you are using
the DIRFILE approach.

Here is what you should do assuming that my assumption above is correct:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/data
vi LSSERVE.BAT

Look for the RTNEXRAD entries in your LSSERVE.BAT file.  They will look
something like:

DATALOC ADD RTNEXRAD LOCAL-DATA

REM
REM Define the server mapping table entries
REM

DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Base Reflectivity Tilt 2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N2R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Base Reflectivity Tilt 3
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N3R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Base Reflectivity Tilt 4
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0V NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Radial Velocity Tilt 1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1V NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Radial Velocity Tilt 2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NCR NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Composite Reflectivity
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt
1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt
2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N2S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt
3
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N3S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt
4
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NVL NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Vertical Liquid H2O
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NTP NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Storm Total Rainfall
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1P NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "1-hour Surface Rainfall
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0Z NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "248 nm Base Reflectifity
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NET NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/NIDS/\ID/\TYPE/\TYPE_* "Echo Tops

NB: yours may look a little different, but the general structure will be the
same.

Modify the RTNEXRAD entries in your LSSERVE.BAT file to look like:

DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Base Reflectivity Tilt 1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Base Reflectivity Tilt 2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N2R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Base Reflectivity Tilt 3
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N3R NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Base Reflectivity Tilt 4
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0V NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Radial Velocity Tilt 1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1V NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Radial Velocity Tilt 2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NCR NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Composite Reflectivity
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 1
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 2
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N2S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 3
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N3S NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Storm-Rel Mean Vel Tilt 4
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NVL NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Vertical Liquid H2O
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NTP NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Storm Total Rainfall
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N1P NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "1-hour Surface Rainfall
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/N0Z NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "248 nm Base Reflectifity
DSSERVE ADD RTNEXRAD/NET NEXR TYPE=IMAGE
DIRFILE=/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/\id_*.\type "Echo Tops

Cutting and pasting would be the simplest way to make these changes (replacing
the
old RTNEXRAD entries, that is).

Once the editing changes have been finished, and you are out of the editor, do
the
following:

cd $MCDATA
batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

This will rewrite the RTNEXRAD entries in your server mapping table,
$MCDATA/RESOLV.SRV.

At this point, AND assuming that the MCPATH setting in /home/mcadde/.mcenv puts
the /home/mcidas/workdata directory first, you should be able to access your
NEXRAD
Level III data using the RTNEXRAD dataset through the remote ADDE server.  Try,
for
instance:

<as 'mcidas' on noaapxcd.blah.blah>
cd $MCDATA
imglist.k RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST

If this does not work, run the following:

lwu.k DEL trce
imglist.k RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST TRACE=1

Review the contents of $MCDATA/trce to see what the server said was wrong.

If the test did work, try the following on a different machine:

<on another machine>
cd $MCDATA
dataloc.k ADD RTNEXRAD noaapxcd.blah.blah    <- replacing, of course,
.blah.blah with something appropriate
imglist.k RTNEXRAD/N0R ID=LIST

Please let me know your results.

Ticket ID: STG-808468