[McIDAS #JRK-547142]: install mcidas2009 in a SUN Solaris10x86_64 machine

Hi Hsie,

re: link to solaris2009

> It was linked to solaris2009 when I built it.  Because the build was
> failed, so I change the link back to solaris2007.

OK, now I understand.

> My scheme is very
> similar (almost the same as yours listed below).  The only difference is
> my "McINST_ROOT" point to "/home/mcidas/solaris2009" and my "MCHOME" is
> pointed to the same directory instead of "/home/mcidas".

Yes, exactly.

> Two questions here:
>
> (1) Do I need reinitiate the MySQL database?

You shouldn't.

> (2) Because the new /home/mcidas/solaris2009/workdata is a new
> directory, all the files in that directory are new files.  I think I can
> rerun "mcxconfig" to reconfigure everything?

Yes, you should be able to.

Here is another idea that you might want to consider for the future:

- since you end up with a new workdata directory each time you install
  a new McIDAS distribution, you might want to create a permanent
  working directory in which the files that get created by configurations
  (e.g., RESOLV.SRV for ADDE dataset definitions) and decoder output
  (e.g., *.ERR files; COUNTRY.DAT, etc.) and then adjust your MCPATH
  to include that new directory first; the /home/mcidas/solaris/workdata
  directory second; the /home/mcidas/solaris/data directory third; and
  the /home/mcidas/solaris/help directory last.

  By creating such a directory, the configuration files will never get
  overwritten with new installations.  This is how I have the
  McIDAS installation on motherlode.ucar.edu setup.

Ticket ID: JRK-547142
Department: Support McIDAS