[McIDAS #LXT-411618]: imgremap.k: Error writing area directory

Hi Ed,

re:
> i am on metofis at RSMAS and i trying to processes the latest GOES-12 IR
> image in /ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/GOES-12/4km/IR/

OK.

> my crontab script ( /home2/eryan/get-ge_ir_atl_v1.csh ) was working until
> they had to rebuild the disks on metofis.
>
> i am now getting similar errors that i get when i run another script to
> 'post-process' area files from NOAA-CLASS. that script was working on
> Sep 23, then on Sep 25 wasn't !, but for now i have to get the real time
> processing back up online.

re:
> the offending command is ...
> metofis /home2/eryan> imgremap.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 LAT=27.5
> 60 SSIZE=ALL SIZE=1526 2220 PRO=RECT RES=4
> *                  WARNING                    *
> * The entire source image will be used to     *
> * create the destination image. If the source *
> * image is located on a remote server, the    *
> * total number of bytes transfered will be:   *
> *                  4.72 MB                    *
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 4724488
> imgremap.k: transformations complete ... begin data move
> Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 3388648
> imgremap.k: Error writing area directory
> imgremap.k: Failed to write comment block

This looks like AREA3000 exists in your MCPATH and it is
write protected, or no directories in your MCPATH allow
writes by you.

re:
> Q: are my environmental variables messed up ?
> metofis /home2/eryan> env | grep -i mcidas
> PATH=.:/usr/local/GMT4.1.3/bin:/home/mcidas/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin
> MCHOME=/home/mcidas
> MCDATA=/home2/eryan/mcidas/data
> MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

The following comments all assume that you are running the script/command line
invocation as user 'eryan' who has a HOME directory of /home2/eryan:

Your MCPATH should be:

MCPATH=$MCDATA:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help

Given your settings for MCHOME and MCDATA this would be:

MCPATH=/home2/eryan/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

I am willing to bet that the /home/mcidas/workdata directory is not writable
by you, and there may well be a file named AREA3000 there.

> MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
> MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT:/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT

McTABLE_READ should look like:

MCTABLE_READ=$MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT;$MCHOME/data/ADDESITE.TXT

NB: the directories are separated by a semi-colon, not a colon!

> MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT

MCTABLE_WRITE should be:

MCTABLE_WRITE=$MCDATA/MCTABLE.TXT

> McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas
> XCD_disp_file=/home/mcidas/workdata/DECOSTAT.DAT

McINST_ROOT and XCD_disp_file only need to be defined for the user
'mcidas'.

re:
> Q: am i not defining  MYDATA/ correctly ?
> metofis /home2/eryan> imglist.k RTIMAGES/GE-IR
> Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
> Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
> sensor                                 Lat  Lon
> --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
> 727  G-12 IMG       2 DEC 09336  13:15:00     0   72 4
> imglist.k: done
> metofis /home2/eryan> imglist.k MYDATA/IMAGES.3000
> Image file directory listing for:MYDATA/IMAGES
> Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
> sensor                                 Lat  Lon
> --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
> 3000  G-12 IMG      20 MAR 08080  13:45:00    30   60 4
> imglist.k: done

This looks OK for the RTIMAGES dataset.  You can see the dataset definition
for the MYDATA dataset by running the DSSERVE command:

dsserve.k LIST MYDATA

It should look something like:

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
MYDATA/GRIDS             GRID  GRID 1-9999           All gridded data in GRID fo
                                                     rmat
MYDATA/IMAGES            IMAGE AREA 1-9999           All images in AREA format
MYDATA/PTSRCS            POINT MD   1-9999           All point source data files
                                                      in MD file format
MYDATA/TOPO              IMAGE AREA 9000-9019        All topographic images in A
                                                     REA format
DSSERVE: done

> thanks,

No worries.