[McIDAS #UIX-681957]: Fwd: IHOP Satellite Data

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the tardy reply.  I just returned from a trip during which
my ability to respond to support email was limited...

re:
> We got this e-mail from a user who's having trouble retrieving
> the scan time associated with a particular pixel from an AREA file.

OK.

re:
> The files she refers to are the original GOES-11 AREA files received
> at Wisconsin for IHOP so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with them.

re:

> I was not aware that IMGPROBE returned the time of a particular pixel.

It doesn't.

re:
> Is additional processing necessary to calculate the scan time for each
> pixel?

Quite frankly, I am not sure.  I seem to recall that this issue came up once
before in an email exchange between you and Unidata McIDAS support, but
I can't remember if it was for the same user.  I will send an inquiry to
the McIDAS User Group folks at SSEC to see if they know of a procedure
for determining the scan time of individual pixels in GOES images.  I
do know that the actual start of the scan is available in the AREA file
(you can see this when doing an IMGLIST with FORM=ALL specified), so I
suspect that the procedure includes using that time with the speed that
scans are done, and the number of pixels in the original scan.

I am leaving the forwarded message in this exchange "for the files".

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Steve Williams <address@hidden>
> > Date: March 29, 2010 12:16:20 PM MDT
> > To: Greg Stossmeister <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Fwd: IHOP Satellite Data
> >
> > Greg,
> > In cleaning up my inbox, I saw this and wondered if you heard anything
> > back from Yoksas on this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

Ticket ID: UIX-681957