[GEMPAK #GWY-469646]: McIDAS-V Text data point inputs

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Over the past weekend, I downloaded McIDAS-V and was able to run it on
> my Windows XP at home.  I have been exploring what McIDAS-V can do
> since then.  I started off with the most basic functionality, such as
> not overwhelm my laptop too much.

I run the IDV/McIDAS-V on my Acer Aspire One netbook (Intel Atom processor,
1.5 GB of RAM).  Everything works, and I can accomplish a number of tasks,
but I would love to have a faster machine (e.g., dual core) with better
OpenGL support (e.g., Nvidia graphics with 256+ MB).  I have been considering
buying a fast laptop and getting rid of my Linux development machine at
home.  I would do all of my development in a Fedora 12 VMware virtual machine.

re:
> I have to say that the changes
> together with the new possibilities that come with McIDAS-V are so
> revolutionary that extra time was needed for me to learn.  I was
> surprised by how fast McIDAS-V could zoom in and out just by scrolling
> the middle mouse button without reissuing a new IMGDISP command.  I
> also learned that it could overlaid images (e.g. radar over IR
> images), and could turn either one on and off easily.  Looks like
> there are still much more to be explored.

One of the very cool things is the ability to set the transparency on
enhancements.  This is especially useful when looking at multiple layers
of images... for instance, make the lowest levels in the radar images
100% transparent and keep the other levels at 0% transparent.  I use
graded transparency in displays of global thermal IR so that the topography
background shows through nicely.

Yes, there are a number of new things to learn when using IDV/McV!

re:
> In the course of my explorations, I also believe that I have
> encountered a couple of bugs.

This is not surprising.

re:
> They are
>
> 1. As I tried to change the magnification factor when loading an image
> in "Data Sources", I found that if a positive number was specified,
> McIDAS-V would load the image as if I had specified a negative
> number.  e.g. if I put in MAG=3x3, then the image would be loaded 3
> times smaller.  When I specified MAG=-3x-3, the image was loaded 3
> times smaller as expected.

I believe that this is working correctly, or, at least, it is in the
nightly build I grabbed last week.  To verify that it is working
correctly, I did the following:

- load a GINIWEST 8 km thermal IR image with magnification factor of
  1x1

- load the same image with a magnification factor of 2xs

- zoom in using the middle mouse roller/button so that you can easily
  see the pixelation of the image loaded with 2x2 magnification

- toggle the display of the 2x2 image off so you are looking at the
  1x1 image

I think you will convince yourself that the data being displayed is different
by the magnification factor specified.

re:
> 2. In Field Selector, after more than one datasets have been added, if
> I attempt to remove a dataset (by right-clicking) that is NOT on the
> bottom, all of the other dataset tabs would disappear.

I am not sure that I understand this.  I loaded a GINIWEST super national
8km IR composite, and then overlaid it with a NEXRCOMP 1 km national
composite radar image (blown down by -5), and can remove the reference
to the image with no problems.

Question:

- you mentioned 'tabs'.  Did you have displays in multiple tab views?

re:
> In addition, I have successfully displayed user-defined text point
> data in McIDAS-V as in
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv_guide/1.0beta5/data/TextPointDa
> ta.html (i.e., surface station models).  However, I have been
> unsuccessful in getting weather symbols to be displayed using this
> method.  I could not find relevant information about this on the above
> web page either.  How would one supply present weather in the text
> file and be able to display that using weather symbols?

I will have to check with the IDV guys about this one.  I know that it is
possible, but I don't know the exact procedure.

Ticket ID: GWY-469646
Department: Support McIDAS