[McIDAS #PSX-470067]: mcidas-x 2009 compile on Ubuntu question

Hi Tom,

re:
> Well, I don't think there is a way for you to login, because I am also
> running this under a VM. I'm trying this because our IT staff has asked
> me to consider running linux under a VM on the lab systems. They are
> replacing the computers this summer, so we will have to set up
> everything anew anyway.

Interesting.  Are you running VMware, or some other virtualizing package?

re:
> (Our IT people dislike the dual boot arrangement that we have used for
> many years. They spend a lot of time repairing the linux partitions.
> This was one reason I tried an OS X build some time ago, but I wasn't
> happy with the result.

We like Macs, but MacOS-X 10.[56] has some problems with Apple has not
straightened out yet.  The biggest problem for us is that the LDM-6
will not keep ingesting data after startup.  It works well for one to
two days, but then the data being received starts decreasing down to
zero.  A restart restores everything, so at least one user (USF) simply
schedules a restart once per day.  Steve Emmerson has been in contact
with Apple about this, and they have suggested a couple of things to
try on our end, but nothing worked.  We are convinced that the problem
is theirs since the LDM worked great under 10.4.

re:
> So far, I must say that my experience with the VM
> approach has been generally positive. GEMPAK seems to be working well in
> my test; the only tricky thing is setting up a shared data drive.

Again, I am very curious about which virtualizing package you are using.

re:
> suppose I could move to fedora on a VM if ubuntu is a problem, but my IT
> people asked me to try ubuntu.)

I don't think that Ubuntu is a problem at all.  I was using an older version,
and everything I tried (e.g., McIDAS, ldm-mcidas, LDM) worked great.  We
have, however, seen a trend in the Unidata community for Linux users to
migrate to CentOS.  This may be a compelling move since AWIPS-II is being
developed under RedHat Enterprise, and CentOS is the free distribution
of RH Enterprise.

Quick comment:

- I would not expect AWIPS-II/NAWIPS-II to run in a virtual machine!

re:
> I could put the vmdk / ovf files on a system that you can access, if you
> want to try that. The vmdk file is 2.9GB, so it would take a while to
> download, and I know this might be a pain on your end. Let me know if
> you want to try that.

I am not familar with 'ovf' files, so I am not sure if this is a VMware
virtual machine.  If you are not using VMware, I would have to check with
our system's guys to see if the virtualization available under Linux (Xen)
would support what you have.

re:
> I'm not surprised it is a shell issue. Ubuntu seems to deal with shell
> environment settings in an unusual way. I also had to manually edit the
> g2clib Makefile to set gcc as the compiler. CC was set to blank.

I hadn't noticed this, but I am not surprised.

re:
> Let me know how you would like to proceed. There is no urgency on my end.

First, please let me know which virtualization package you are using.  If
it is VMware, then I should be able to download a 10.4 virtual machine
and then see what I run into.  Even if you are not running under VMware,
I may download the Ubuntu 10.4 virtual machine and play with it on my
netbook.  I have to wait until the middle of the night to do things like
this as the network available at my house up here in the foothills above
Boulder does not provide a large enough pipe to do the transfers when
lots and lots of folks are active.

Ticket ID: PSX-470067
Department: Support McIDAS