[McIDAS #PSX-470067]: mcidas-x 2009 compile on Ubuntu question

Hi Tom,

re: change in tclcomp.sh to use bash instead of sh

> Thanks... your suggestion did work. I was able to build and install on my
> ubuntu system. I did have to turn off some video acceleration available as a
> virtual box addon.

Very good.  I built Unidata McIDAS-X v2009d in the Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4 (aka
Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty)) and tested out a code change that forces use of
bash in the generated file 'tclcomp'.  My build proceeded with no errors
all the way through.

re:
> I only see two problems.
>
> First, the frame number has to be set manually when using the mcgui. It
> always defaults to a blank setting. This isn't really a big problem, but it
> is different than the 2008 build I am using on fedora.

Hmm... this would say that the defaults file is not getting copied into
your McIDAS working directory.

Question:

- are you running the tests as 'mcidas' or as a different user?

NB: I did not experience this problem using the newly built v2009d.

re:
> Secondly, I have successfully created satellite and radar images, surface
> data plots, frontal plots, and meteograms. However, mcidas fails when I try
> to plot watch boxes or soundings. Here is an sample message when it fails:
>
> *** buffer overflow detected ***:   terminated
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x50)[0x1f2350]
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0xe128a)[0x1f128a]
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0xe05ba)[0x1f05ba]
> [0x804d132]
> /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6)[0x126bd6]
> [0x8049ef1]

This is _not_ good as it indicates a problem in a system library.

As a first test, I just put up the latest national composite base reflectivity
image, and overlaid it with time-matching weather watch boxes.  This worked
without problem on my Ubuntu 7.04 system.

As a second test, I just displayed today's 12Z Denver sounding.  This also did
not have any problems.

Question:

- what ADDE server are you pointing at for your weather watch box (dataset
  RTWXTEXT) and sounding (dataset RTPTSRC) data?

  I was pointing at adde.ucar.edu:

  DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC adde.ucar.edu
  DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT adde.ucar.edu

re:
> I'm not sure I really need a solution to these problems. I am now convinced
> we need to keep our dual boot systems in the lab. Because we are replacing
> computers this summer, I sent the hardware requirements you mentioned to our
> IT people.

OK.  Please don't forget that the hardware and software requirements for
AWIPS-II are not fixed yet.

re:
> I may use the version I built on ubuntu on my office computer, as it is
> easier than running to the lab anytime I need to use gempak or mcidas for
> preparing a lab assignment, etc.

OK.  Please let me know if/how I can help in using McIDAS...

Ticket ID: PSX-470067
Department: Support McIDAS