[McIDAS #RGL-269579]: buoys with no data

Hi Owen,

re:
> Here's my latest question spurred by the demands of our air pollution
> study in California.

OK...

re:
> I am plotting realtime surface station data for California, both land
> based and ship/buoy observations.
> This example plot shows observations over the water, but many (perhaps
> all) of the buoys have no data.
> http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/csd/metproducts/calnex/calnex_web/gif_archive/sfc_obs_la/SFCOBS_LA_10051816.GIF
>
> It appears that the ships have data and they are easily identifiable
> because they move from one hour to the next. I did a PTLIST on the
> stations in my domain and sure enough there are no listings for
> temperature and winds for the buoys.Do you know why we are not receiving
> these data?

It could be that the bulletins containing the buoys you are interested
in are not being processed by the McIDAS XCD decoder running on the
machine you are accessing the data from.  An IDV user reported the
lack of CMAN data near Alaska, and we figoured out that those reports are
included in SXUS bulletins.  I added SXUS to the list of bulletins
that the decoder would run on, and the Alaskan CMAN reports are now being
decoded on adde.ucar.edu and adde.cise-nsf.gov.

Question:

- can you find out which WMO header the buoy data are reported under?

re:
> I tried RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY data from both blizzard.al.noaa.gov and from
> adde.ucar.edu with the same results.

OK, this tells me that the modification made for Alaskan CMAN stations
did not help for the buoys you are wanting.

No worries.

re:
> PS The demands of the field mission hit hard and heavy this past week so
> I still haven't figured out my DEV=T problem, but for now I have a
> work-around

I am relieved to hear that you have a work around!

Ticket ID: RGL-269579
Department: Support McIDAS