[McIDAS #NEK-233980]: McIDAS-X MCGUI

Hi Ryan,

re:
> I'm embarrassed to say, but I must not have read through your
> installation procedures thoroughly enough.  I was another fish that was
> trying to use the mcidas account to run program.  Things seem to be
> working now that I simply have our other accounts accessing the
> software.  Sorry about this, I should have followed up with a new status
> report.

No worries.  I am happy to hear that things are working for you now!

re:
> On another note, one thing that I did have some trouble with was some of
> the basic linux/unix techniques to allow other users to use the binaries
> and files in the mcidas account, as well as the possibility of sharing
> home directories.  Other users may be sharing my floppings.  I was
> wondering if you knew a great resource that would lead me through this
> process correctly?  I did it the messy way and did chmod with (very)
> high numbers for each subdirectory in mcidas home.

All non-mcidas users need to be able to do is:

- read/execute binaries from the ~mcidas/bin directory (775 directory
permissions)
- read ancillary data files in the ~mcidas/data directory (664 directory
permissions)
- read help files in the ~mcidas/help directory (644 directory permissions)

The reason that group has write/execute permissions in ~mcidas/bin and
read/write in ~mcidas/(data|help) is the user 'mcadde' (the McIDAS remote
ADDE server account) should be in the same group as 'mcidas' and share its
HOME directory.

re:
> Thanks for your response!

No worries.  Please don't hesitate to ask questions if you run into snags.

Ticket ID: NEK-233980
Department: Support McIDAS